Paolo Gentiloni

Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni said Tuesday his current visit to Libya's Tripoli aims to show political support to the Government of National Accord.

The visit also represents a humanitarian support to the Libyan people, Gentiloni added during a press conference with deputy prime minister of the UN-backed government Ahmed Maiteeq.

"I am delighted to be in Tripoli to deliver Italy's emergency aid and to support Fayez al-Sarraj's Government of National Accord," Gentiloni said.

He added that paying a visit to Tripoli by Italy's top diplomat just two weeks after the UN-backed government arrived in the capital represents a clear message that his country fully supports the new Libyan government at all levels.

It is only a first step and other steps would be taken in the same regard, the Italian foreign minister said.

"We are strongly committed to support the new government and the presidency council," Gentiloni affirmed. "many of my colleagues will visit Libya in the near future."

Gentiloni arrived in Tripoli earlier in the day, marking the first visit by a European official to Libya since the UN-backed government started work in the capital.

The Italian foreign minister is the first European official to visit Libya since the head of the unity government arrived in Tripoli by sea late last month.

Source : MENA