australia welcomes cancellation of french war graves wind farm
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Australia welcomes cancellation of French war graves wind farm

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Australia welcomes cancellation of French war graves wind farm

Some 10,000 Australians were killed or wounded in 1917
Sydney - AFP

Canberra Tuesday welcomed as "very touching" the scrapping of a planned French wind farm on the site of a World War I battlefield where thousands of Australian soldiers died.

French energy company Engie Green had planned to erect turbines on the grounds of the former Bullecourt killing fields in northern France, where some 10,000 Australians were killed or wounded in 1917.

Many bodies were never found, and the planned site for the wind farm is a natural burial ground near the Bullecourt memorial that is visited regularly by Australian families.

"This is wonderful news for every Australian and especially those with a family connection to the Battle of Bullecourt," Veterans' Affairs Minister Dan Tehan said in a statement.

"The Engie group has listened to the concerns of the Australian people and they have acted with empathy by cancelling this project."

Tehan told Sky News he was also grateful for the efforts of the French government, saying it showed "how the French still, 100 years on, take so importantly what Australians were prepared to do for them".

"From the local mayor right through to the minister for veterans' affairs, they all referred to the diggers and the legacy of the diggers ... it's very touching for all Australians."

Engie said the project was axed as the company was "sensitive to the emotion aroused in Australia and anxious to alleviate the fears" of everyone involved in preserving the memory of the fallen.

"The recent reactions have highlighted the symbolic nature and sacredness of the site," the company said in a statement to AFP.

"Respectful of the memory of Australian soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice on French soil during the First World War, Engie has taken the decision to cancel this project," it said.

Sky News Australia earlier this month reported that the proposal involved digging for foundations and would include transmission tunnels, other earthworks and infrastructure.

The area was the scene of some of the heaviest Australian losses in the war during a battle that has become symbolic of the incompetence of British generals directing the campaign

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

australia welcomes cancellation of french war graves wind farm australia welcomes cancellation of french war graves wind farm

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

australia welcomes cancellation of french war graves wind farm australia welcomes cancellation of french war graves wind farm

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eight

GMT 10:21 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eleven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 05:04 2024 Tuesday ,06 February

Skincare PR Performance Full Year 2017

GMT 11:03 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

No end to eyesores at Taj Mahal

GMT 10:21 2018 Monday ,22 January

Hindi Diwas celebrations at Bhavans Kuwait

GMT 15:35 2018 Wednesday ,29 August

Could EU recession lead to more protectionism?

GMT 12:06 2017 Sunday ,19 February

Iran discovers two-billion-barrel shale oil reserves

GMT 14:57 2017 Wednesday ,08 February

US trade deficit falls more than expected in December

GMT 10:20 2018 Friday ,19 January

Talks underway in Catalonia to pick regional leader

GMT 04:32 2017 Saturday ,21 January

Indians try to learn e-payments on the fly

GMT 20:12 2012 Friday ,10 February

1 in 4 UK children targeted by cyber bullying

GMT 12:18 2017 Friday ,10 February

Japan condemns Israel for adopting Bill

GMT 05:08 2017 Wednesday ,31 May

300 drones spread Ramadan message

GMT 06:35 2015 Thursday ,19 February

My intentions are extremely pure

GMT 00:26 2017 Wednesday ,27 September

President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi leaves UAE

GMT 08:39 2017 Tuesday ,13 June

Army chief meets German military delegation

GMT 22:00 2017 Monday ,25 September

Four reasons why Apple's iOS 11 software update rocks

GMT 02:01 2016 Tuesday ,16 August

Chinese Shares Close at 7-Month Highs

GMT 23:41 2017 Thursday ,08 June

Coach of Morocco Tetouan happy

GMT 11:24 2017 Monday ,13 March

Indians in Oman celebrate Holi

GMT 09:22 2017 Thursday ,30 November

Hamas's weapons may block path to Palestinian unity
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice