hungary court orders retrial in toxic red sludge case
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Hungary court orders retrial in toxic red sludge case

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Hungary court orders retrial in toxic red sludge case

An aerial view of the village of Kolontar, nearby the Torna stream
Gyor - Arab Today

A Hungarian court ordered a retrial on Monday over the spill of toxic red sludge in 2010 that killed 10 people in one of the country's worst environmental disasters.

Prosecutors had appealed against a 2016 ruling that acquitted 15 people in the case. Monday's verdict by a court in the city of Gyor overturned that ruling and ordered a retrial. 

In the 2010 spill, toxic red mud flowing from an alumina reservoir destroyed hundreds of homes in three towns and seeped into rivers including a tributary of the Danube.

It spread 1.9 million cubic metres of soft sludge, the colour of tennis clay, which emitted a pungent acidic smell that could be detected miles away. It took years to clean up.

"The court... annuls the Veszprem court ruling dated January 28, 2016," judge Csilla Zolyomi told a packed courtroom in Gyor.

She said there had been procedural mistakes and shortcomings in the hearing of witnesses at the Veszprem court with regard to the evaluation of expert opinions and also in the court's justification for its acquittal ruling.

That prompted the Gyor court to order a retrial, which could be carried out by the Veszprem court, she said. "The new procedure will have to be conducted in an expedited manner... and the evidence procedure has to be repeated," the judge said.

MAL Corp, the aluminium smelting company that owned the faulty alumina reservoir, was subsequently taken over by the government, which declared it responsible for the incident and began to close it down.

In a first instance ruling, a court in the western town of Veszprem said that executives and top employees of MAL had not been criminally negligent, nor had they committed other crimes they were charged with during the 40-month legal procedure.

The prosecutors had asked for that ruling to be annulled, saying the Veszprem court ruling had drawn false conclusions in the case.

Source :Times Of Oman

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

hungary court orders retrial in toxic red sludge case hungary court orders retrial in toxic red sludge case

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

hungary court orders retrial in toxic red sludge case hungary court orders retrial in toxic red sludge case

 



GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 10:22 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Kabul hotel guests describe lax security

GMT 15:25 2017 Monday ,18 December

Uber struggles to make inroads in Japan

GMT 16:21 2016 Friday ,26 August

Haifa Beseisso: A global citizen on a mission

GMT 15:36 2017 Thursday ,22 June

'Do good at Sunset' charity drive in Jumeirah

GMT 13:04 2017 Tuesday ,14 February

How sleep deprivation affect your work

GMT 22:36 2016 Wednesday ,06 January

Chipotle norovirus outbreak under US criminal probe

GMT 10:08 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Microsoft to open 4 data centres

GMT 19:15 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Emirati fined Dh2.2m for embezzling public funds

GMT 04:36 2018 Monday ,22 January

centre-left backs formal coalition talks

GMT 03:41 2016 Thursday ,30 June

UK banks 'well placed' to manage Brexit fallout

GMT 07:36 2017 Friday ,27 October

Federal National Council playing a sterling role

GMT 11:13 2017 Wednesday ,15 February

Barcelona shell-shocked after PSG hammering

GMT 09:10 2017 Tuesday ,07 March

Smaller bats, sendings-off among new cricket laws

GMT 11:41 2017 Wednesday ,01 November

A Dubai entrepreneur is inspired by her love of travel

GMT 07:46 2017 Saturday ,11 November

Houthi commander was killed in Yemen’s Hodeidah

GMT 21:40 2015 Wednesday ,13 May

Highly-rated young Dane dies

GMT 08:31 2016 Thursday ,21 January

Tunisia police disperse new protest

GMT 05:46 2012 Friday ,06 July

Al-Assad is still digging!

GMT 10:25 2012 Thursday ,02 February

QOIC discloses statements
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice