A 20-year-old body boarder was killed Thursday when a giant shark estimated at up to five meters (16 feet) long bit off his leg in a Cape Town bay, in South Africa\'s second deadly mauling this year. David Lillienfeld\'s brother Gustav tried to pull him to safety when the shark struck while the siblings were bodyboarding, reported Eyewitness News website. \"The deceased man sustained complete amputation of his right leg, below the hip, while body boarding with his brother and friends,\" said National Sea Rescue Institute spokesman Craig Lambinon. \"There are no other bite marks or lacerations on the deceased man\'s body -- only the complete amputation of the right leg and the leg has not been recovered.\" Witnesses reported a single shark, thought to be a Great White and measuring four to five meters, attacked the man. They said up to six sharks were spotted after the incident at a popular surfing and body boarding site in False Bay. The South African man\'s body was recovered off rocks on the shore after he was hauled to shore, said Lambinon. City officials confirmed the fatal attack at Kogel Bay Resort which is near Gordon\'s Bay, about 50 kilometers (30 miles) from the city center, in the eastern stretch of the large bay. The attack is the latest shark blow for the top tourist city after a British man lost parts of both legs at Fish Hoek in September, after he ignored warning flags on a beach which had been closed due to shark activity. Officials are mulling a trial shark net for Fish Hoek, a popular swimming beach where three attacks, two deadly, have taken place. To counter attacks due to regular shark presence, the city also uses a unique shark spotting program which monitors for sightings of the apex predators. Last week, coastal authorities warned beachgoers around the tourist town of Knysna that sharks were moving into the area, feeding on the remains of a whale that had run ashore about 400 kilometres (250 miles) east of Cape Town. A shark research permit for a National Geographic documentary being filmed in the area was cancelled after the attack. The attack is the second shark fatality along South African shores this year after a swimmer was killed in waist-deep water at Second Beach in the rural Eastern Cape in January.
GMT 12:46 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Mexico shaken by 6.3 magnitude earthquakeGMT 17:24 2018 Wednesday ,17 January
Chinese solar boom sparks global renewables boonGMT 09:11 2018 Friday ,12 January
UK plans to eliminate avoidable plastic waste by 2042GMT 18:57 2018 Wednesday ,10 January
Hundreds of bats die as Australia heatwave 'fries their brains'GMT 13:20 2018 Tuesday ,09 January
Most sea turtles now female in north Great Barrier ReefGMT 11:01 2018 Friday ,05 January
UK to continue farm subsidies for five years after BrexitGMT 10:36 2017 Sunday ,31 December
Swimming with whale sharks in MexicoGMT 11:57 2017 Thursday ,21 December
Delhi rolls out 'anti-smog' mist cannon in trial run

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor