dozens of chibok girls kidnapped by boko haram are released nigerian officials
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Dozens of Chibok girls kidnapped by Boko Haram are released: Nigerian officials

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Dozens of Chibok girls kidnapped by Boko Haram are released: Nigerian officials

FILE PHOTO Nigerians take part in a protest demanding for the release of secondary school girls
Abuja - Emirates Voice

 Boko Haram militants have released dozens of schoolgirls out of a group of more than 200 whom they kidnapped from the northeastern town of Chibok in April 2014, officials said on Saturday.

A government minister, asking not to be named, said 82 girls had been released. Unconfirmed reports on social media put the number of freed girls at between 50 and 62. 

"The girls were released through negotiations with the government," one official said, asking not to be named, adding that an official statement would follow shortly.

A military source said the girls were currently in Banki near the Cameroon border for medical checks before being airlifted to Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state.

The kidnapping was one of the high-profile incidents of Boko Haram's insurgency in Nigeria's northeast, now in its eighth year and with little sign of ending. About 220 were abducted from their school in a nighttime attack.

More than 20 girls were released last October in a deal brokered by the International Committee of the Red Cross. Others have escaped or been rescued, but 195 were believed to be still in captivity before this release.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari said last month that the government was in talks to secure the release of the remaining captives.

Although the Chibok girls are the most high-profile case, Boko Haram has kidnapped thousands of adults and children, many of whose cases have been neglected.

The militants have killed more than 20,000 people and displaced more than 2 million during their insurgency aimed at creating an Islamic caliphate in northeast Nigeria.

Although the army has retaken much of the territory initially lost to Boko Haram, large parts of the northeast, particularly in Borno state, remain under threat from the militants. Suicide bombings and gun attacks have increased in the region since the end of the rainy season late last year. (Reporting by Felix Onuah, Tife Owolabi, Ahmed Kingimi and Ulf Laessing; Editing by Angus MacSwan, Hugh Lawson and Jonathan Oatis)

Source: Timesofoman

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

dozens of chibok girls kidnapped by boko haram are released nigerian officials dozens of chibok girls kidnapped by boko haram are released nigerian officials

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

dozens of chibok girls kidnapped by boko haram are released nigerian officials dozens of chibok girls kidnapped by boko haram are released nigerian officials

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 19:57 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Farm-fresh from Kerala to the UAE, in just one day

GMT 19:40 2011 Wednesday ,11 May

Man jumps to his death from Burj Khalifa

GMT 06:00 2017 Sunday ,16 July

Paris begins mediation in Qatar crisis

GMT 07:30 2017 Sunday ,13 August

Zidane confirms to extend Real Madrid contract

GMT 11:49 2011 Friday ,15 July

Japan to report progress on nuclear crisis

GMT 09:35 2012 Thursday ,14 June

UN environment summit opens, but prospects grim

GMT 15:20 2015 Saturday ,14 November

I'm not Zorro

GMT 12:45 2014 Saturday ,27 September

Ferrari saves something extra ‘Speciale’ for Paris

GMT 10:43 2014 Tuesday ,09 September

Much of the coffee genome has finally been mapped

GMT 00:23 2011 Monday ,26 December

The Heights: Anatomy of a Skyscraper

GMT 07:10 2017 Thursday ,20 July

Yasmine Abdel Aziz receives new offers

GMT 08:19 2017 Tuesday ,02 May

Prime Minister Attends Luncheon Banquet

GMT 15:17 2015 Monday ,05 October

Zulekha Hospital launches 'pink it now' campaign

GMT 08:03 2017 Tuesday ,12 September

United Arab Emirates says military pilot killed

GMT 11:00 2017 Thursday ,21 September

Abbas calls on UN to correct historic injustices

GMT 05:54 2017 Saturday ,20 May

Young Nigerian man drowned in UAQ beach

GMT 08:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Louvre Abu Dhabi replaces Gulf map that omitted Qatar

GMT 11:06 2015 Thursday ,01 January

Rejecting resolution not the end
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice