qualcomm spurns 130 bn broadcom bid for big tech tieup
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

In the world of mobile technology.

Qualcomm spurns $130 bn Broadcom bid for big tech tie-up

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Qualcomm spurns $130 bn Broadcom bid for big tech tie-up

President Donald Trump
Washington - Emirates Voice

Qualcomm (Swiss: QCOM-USD.SW - news) on Monday rejected a $130 billion bid from fellow computer chip maker Broadcom (Frankfurt: 28425279.F - news) , setting the stage for a potentially bitter fight for control of a key player in the world of mobile technology.

The proposal "significantly undervalues Qualcomm relative to the company's leadership position in mobile technology and our future growth prospects," Paul Jacobs, Qualcomm's executive chairman, said in a statement following last week's offer which would be the largest ever in the technology sector.

Singapore-based Broadcom made the offer to consolidate two major players in the booming sector fueled by growth in smartphones and other connected devices.

Steve Mollenkopf, Qualcomm's chief executive, said in the statement the California company remains confident about its future on its own.

"No company is better positioned in mobile, IoT (internet of things), automotive, edge computing and networking within the semiconductor industry," he said.

"We are confident in our ability to create significant additional value for our stockholders as we continue our growth in these attractive segments and lead the transition to 5G," he said, referring to the fifth generation wireless networks in the works.

Broadcom responded to the announcement by saying it "remains fully committed" to the planned tie-up.

- 'Engage cooperatively' -

Broadcom CEO Hock Tan said the deal would create "a strong, global company with an impressive portfolio of industry-leading technologies and products."

Tan noted that "we have received positive feedback from key customers about this combination" and added that "we continue to believe our proposal represents the most attractive, value-enhancing alternative available to Qualcomm stockholders."

While Tan did not specifically address whether Broadcom would make a hostile bid, he said, "It remains our strong preference to engage cooperatively with Qualcomm's board of directors and management team."

Broadcom could sweeten its bid in an effort to win over management or launch a hostile takeover effort to persuade shareholders to sell or install new board or management members.

Michael Walkley, a Canaccord Genuity (Frankfurt: A0B6V4 - news) analyst, said he believes the Broadcom bid and Qualcomm rejection both suggest the US firm is undervalued.

"We do believe the combination of the two companies could generate strong synergies, creating a dominant wireless business and overall powerful global semiconductor leader," Walkley said in a research note.

"Therefore, we believe Broadcom is likely to increase its bid."

Any merger deal would need to pass muster with Qualcomm shareholders and could face regulatory scrutiny in the United States and other markets.

Qualcomm has been facing a series of antitrust investigations around the world linked to its dominance in the smartphone chip segment and is in litigation with Apple (NasdaqGS: AAPL - news) in a dispute over patents and royalties.

Broadcom's proposal followed Tan's visit to the White House this month, where he met President Donald Trump and announced plans to move the tech company back to the United States from Singapore.

It comes as Qualcomm seeks a $47 billion acquisition of Dutch rival NXP, a deal that is the subject of a European Union anti-trust probe.

A merger with Broadcom would create a behemoth with about $51 billion in revenues, including those from NXP.

Broadcom, meanwhile, is seeking to buy US rival Brocade Communications in a deal being reviewed by Washington.

Broadcom and Qualcomm are both major makers of semiconductors used in the latest tech gadgetry.

The US firm is the leader in processors for smartphones and is expanding into new sectors, while Broadcom makes an array of chips for wireless communications, set-top boxes and electronic displays.

Source:AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

qualcomm spurns 130 bn broadcom bid for big tech tieup qualcomm spurns 130 bn broadcom bid for big tech tieup

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

qualcomm spurns 130 bn broadcom bid for big tech tieup qualcomm spurns 130 bn broadcom bid for big tech tieup

 



GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 10:22 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Kabul hotel guests describe lax security

GMT 15:25 2017 Monday ,18 December

Uber struggles to make inroads in Japan

GMT 16:21 2016 Friday ,26 August

Haifa Beseisso: A global citizen on a mission

GMT 15:36 2017 Thursday ,22 June

'Do good at Sunset' charity drive in Jumeirah

GMT 13:04 2017 Tuesday ,14 February

How sleep deprivation affect your work

GMT 22:36 2016 Wednesday ,06 January

Chipotle norovirus outbreak under US criminal probe

GMT 10:08 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Microsoft to open 4 data centres

GMT 19:15 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Emirati fined Dh2.2m for embezzling public funds

GMT 04:36 2018 Monday ,22 January

centre-left backs formal coalition talks

GMT 03:41 2016 Thursday ,30 June

UK banks 'well placed' to manage Brexit fallout

GMT 07:36 2017 Friday ,27 October

Federal National Council playing a sterling role

GMT 11:13 2017 Wednesday ,15 February

Barcelona shell-shocked after PSG hammering

GMT 09:10 2017 Tuesday ,07 March

Smaller bats, sendings-off among new cricket laws

GMT 11:41 2017 Wednesday ,01 November

A Dubai entrepreneur is inspired by her love of travel

GMT 07:46 2017 Saturday ,11 November

Houthi commander was killed in Yemen’s Hodeidah

GMT 21:40 2015 Wednesday ,13 May

Highly-rated young Dane dies

GMT 08:31 2016 Thursday ,21 January

Tunisia police disperse new protest

GMT 05:46 2012 Friday ,06 July

Al-Assad is still digging!

GMT 10:25 2012 Thursday ,02 February

QOIC discloses statements
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice