5 wounded in south yemen independence protest
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Tens of thousands of people demand independence

5 wounded in south Yemen independence protest

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice 5 wounded in south Yemen independence protest

Yemeni protesters wave flags and march through the streets
Aden - Arab Today

Five protesters were wounded as Yemeni police stopped southern separatists from marching towards the governorate building in the south's main city of Aden on Sunday, activists and medics said.
The clash came as tens of thousands of people rallied to demand independence at a time when Shiite militiamen from the north are expanding their control over the impoverished country.
The southerners were marking the 47th anniversary of the end of British colonial rule in 1967, which created an independent state that lasted until union with the north in 1990.
"Police opened heavy fire with live rounds and tear gas to disperse us as we tried to advance towards the governorate building to raise the flag of (the former) South Yemen," an activist of the separatist Southern Movement said.
He revised an earlier casualty toll of one dead and four wounded, saying one demonstrator was badly hurt among the five wounded. Hospital sources confirmed the figures.
Many others suffered breathing difficulties after inhaling tear gas, said Radfan al-Dubais, a spokesman for the protesters.
The Southern Movement, which called the protest, is campaigning for autonomy or outright secession for the previously independent south.
Waving the flag of what used to be South Yemen, protesters who poured into Aden from neighbouring southern provinces vowed not to let up until they achieve independence.
"We will not back down until we achieve victory -- liberation and independence," read banners at a square in Aden, where secessionists have been camped out since October 14.
Sunday's rally showed the "rejection of the people of the south of all projects and initiatives that do not fulfil their legitimate right to freedom, sovereignty, and independence," a hardline Southern Movement leader, Hassan Baum, told supporters.
Yemen is reeling under the impact of expansion by Shiite militiamen who overran the capital in September and seized a major port unopposed before clashing with Sunni tribes and Al-Qaeda militants south of Sanaa.
The southern separatists, as well as the Shiites from the north, have rejected plans unveiled in February for Yemen to become a six-region federation, including two in the south.
Source: AFP

 

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

5 wounded in south yemen independence protest 5 wounded in south yemen independence protest

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

5 wounded in south yemen independence protest 5 wounded in south yemen independence protest

 



GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 05:04 2024 Tuesday ,06 February

Skincare PR Performance Full Year 2017

GMT 19:19 2018 Sunday ,07 January

Has the good fortune for ETFs run its course?

GMT 10:31 2014 Tuesday ,23 December

Mirages of failure: Lebanon cannot wait

GMT 10:35 2011 Thursday ,06 October

3 Syrian Army and Police martyrs laid to rest

GMT 20:32 2014 Tuesday ,16 December

Egypt criticise attack on Pakistan army school

GMT 06:53 2017 Friday ,17 February

Tunisia announces visa exemption for Chinese tourists

GMT 08:23 2017 Wednesday ,01 November

Saudi Arabia to allow women spectators in stadiums

GMT 12:57 2017 Saturday ,28 October

Libyan army deploys additional forces in Oil Crescent

GMT 12:24 2014 Monday ,03 November

Hlavackova, Hradecka team up again after split

GMT 15:58 2013 Sunday ,03 March

Xinhua launches new media newswire service

GMT 08:33 2012 Wednesday ,07 March

GCC swimming championship begins today
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice