clashes in libyas benghazi leave more than 20 dead
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Third day of offensive by pro-government forces

Clashes in Libya's Benghazi leave more than 20 dead

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Clashes in Libya's Benghazi leave more than 20 dead

Libyan men loyal to general Khalifa Haftar take position during clashes
Benghazi - Arab Today

Fierce clashes raged in Benghazi on Friday, leaving more than 20 people dead, on the third day of an offensive by pro-government forces to recapture Libya's second city from Islamist militias.
An AFP correspondent said the latest fighting was the most violent since forces of former general Khalifa Haftar launched the assault on Wednesday with the backing of army units and civilians who have taken up arms.
Benghazi Medical Centre said the 18 dead were mostly soldiers and their civilian supporters in the central district of Al-Majouri.
There was no word on casualties on the side of the Islamists, who rarely announce their losses.
Another four people died on Friday night after a suicide bomber blew up his car at a checkpoint in the central Benghazi district of Boudhima. The suicide bomber was among the dead, Benghazi Medical Centre said.
In a statement on a pro-Haftar television station, Al-Karama, the retired general said he was "satisfied with the results of the battle for Benghazi" and vowed that "victory is near".
At least 52 people have been killed in the three days of what Haftar has called an operation to "liberate" Benghazi, according to hospital figures.
Al-Majouri is home to Mohamed al-Zehawi, leader of the Ansar al-Sharia jihadist group, which the United States has designated a terrorist organisation, and many of his men.
Residents said the two sides were using weapons of all calibres in street fighting in a densely-populated district.
The Libyan Red Crescent called on its Facebook page for a ceasefire, "even for one hour," to allow families to flee the combat zone.
Elsewhere, air raids struck Islamist targets in the districts of Al-Lithi, Al-Massaken and Bouatni, southeast of the Mediterranean city, witnesses said.
Islamist militias have seized control of large parts of turmoil-gripped Libya since a 2011 uprising against long-time leader Moamer Kadhafi.
The army has this time publicly thrown its weight behind Haftar, who launched a first, unsuccessful, campaign against the Islamists in Benghazi in May, dubbing it "Operation Dignity".
"The Libyan army claims 'Operation Dignity'" as one of its own campaigns, spokesman Colonel Ahmed al-Mesmari said Wednesday.
- Final redoubt -
Before this week's assault, Haftar's forces had been steadily beaten back to a final redoubt at Benghazi's airport, which has come under attack by Islamists since mid-September.
Last week, more than 50 people were killed in fighting between the rival sides, according to military and hospital sources.
In May, the authorities had accused the former Kadhafi-era general -- who spent years in exile before returning to join the 2011 revolution -- of trying to mount a coup.
But the internationally recognised interim government of Prime Minister Abdullah al-Thani "is now left with no choice but to make things up with Haftar", said Libyan analyst Fradj Najm.
Oil-rich and largely lawless Libya has two competing governments as well as a host of rival armed militias jostling for influence.
Parliament, elected in June, is recognised by the international community but contested by the militia controlling most of Tripoli and by the Islamists who dominate Benghazi.
Thani and the majority faction of that legislature decamped this summer to the far eastern city of Tobruk because of widespread insecurity, including in the capital, where a rival administration has been set up.
Clashes between rival militias have driven an estimated 287,000 people from their homes, including 100,000 who have fled the outskirts of Tripoli, according to the UN refugee agency.
Source: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

clashes in libyas benghazi leave more than 20 dead clashes in libyas benghazi leave more than 20 dead

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

clashes in libyas benghazi leave more than 20 dead clashes in libyas benghazi leave more than 20 dead

 



GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 19:57 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Farm-fresh from Kerala to the UAE, in just one day

GMT 01:36 2011 Thursday ,10 March

Geothermal Energy

GMT 09:15 2018 Friday ,12 January

Einstein's love letters, LPs set for Asian exhibits

GMT 14:47 2017 Friday ,10 November

Foreign Minister Meets Kuwaiti Counterpart

GMT 04:37 2017 Thursday ,19 January

DEWA and Masdar to break ground on Phase 3

GMT 06:24 2018 Tuesday ,02 January

Freezing New York welcomes 2018

GMT 10:49 2017 Tuesday ,13 June

Actress Nelly Karim reveals message

GMT 10:09 2012 Monday ,30 January

Sarkozy announces French financial transaction tax

GMT 03:24 2017 Monday ,13 March

Book review: Wounding the World

GMT 09:47 2017 Thursday ,27 July

Actress Nelly Karim is keen to keep her success

GMT 23:54 2017 Wednesday ,14 June

Actress Dina reveals her role

GMT 12:50 2018 Monday ,01 January

Kim calls on North to mass-produce nukes, missiles

GMT 06:07 2017 Monday ,27 February

Sheds light on major steps in 12-year career
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice