israeli warplanes pounded 29 targets in gaza strip
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

In response to heavy Palestinian rocket fire

Israeli warplanes pounded 29 targets in Gaza Strip

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Israeli warplanes pounded 29 targets in Gaza Strip

Israeli civilian stands next to hole caused by rocket in Sderot
Gaza City - Arab Today

Israeli civilian stands next to hole caused by rocket in Sderot Israeli warplanes pounded 29 Palestinian targets in the Gaza Strip Thursday night in response to heavy Palestinian rocket fire into the Jewish state earlier, the military said. Palestinian eyewitnesses, including an AFP photographer, said warplanes hit bases of the strip's Hamas rulers and the armed wing of Islamic Jihad, the Al-Quds Brigades, which had claimed responsiblity for firing dozens of rockets into Israel.
An army statement late Wednesday night said the remains of 60 rockets had so far been located, five of which hit populated areas.
"In response to the massive rocket attack that hit Israel earlier this evening, the Israel Air Force targeted 29 terror sites in the Gaza Strip. Direct hits were confirmed," it said.
"This retaliation was precise and prompt. We targeted the infrastructure that serves the terrorists while they train, plan and implement their hideous attacks," it quoted Lieutenant Colonel Peter Lerner, the chief military spokesman, as saying.
"They will not be permitted to conspire in the safety of their terrorist temples."
Al Quds said it fired 90 rockets at Israel in response to an air strike on Tuesday that killed three of its militants in southern Gaza.
The militant strikes, which sent tens of thousands of Israeli in the south to seek shelter were the biggest wave of attacks since a major eight-day November 2012 confrontation between Israel and Hamas.
There were no immediate reports of casualties on either side Wednesday.
Hamas personnel, including its military wing, the Ezzedine Al-Qassam Brigades, had earlier evacuated all their bases, Gaza security sources said.
The earlier Al-Quds barrage, which Israel said came from several sites, prompted Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to warn of a tough response.
And Washington called for "these terrorists attacks to cease immediately" adding it condemned the rockets from Gaza "in the strongest terms".
The escalation in violence came just hours after British Prime Minister David Cameron arrived on his first official visit to the region since taking office in 2010.
Police raised the level of alert in the south, saying the rockets struck along the length of Israel's border with Gaza.
One hit near a public library in the town of Sderot, and another near a petrol station.
The attack began shortly after Netanyahu and Cameron addressed parliament, and prompted a stern warning from the Israeli leader, who pledged to act "with great force" against those seeking to harm Israel, a statement from his office said.
Later, Netanyahu warned those in Gaza again.
"If there won't be quiet in the south (of Israel) there will be noise in Gaza, and this is an understatement," he said, in remarks relayed by his office.
It said that he held a telephone conference with defence and security chiefs and instructed them to act "in any way" to restore calm.
Defence Minister Moshe Yaalon ordered the closure from Thursday of the Kerem Shalom goods crossing between Israel and Gaza and the Erez pedestrian crossing "until further security assessments," a military statement said.
"This is the biggest attack on Israel since the 2012 Operation Pillar of Defence," the military said on Twitter, referring to the 2012 confrontation that claimed the lives of 177 Palestinians, mostly civilians, and six Israelis.
- 'Reoccupation' of Gaza -
Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman said Israel would have no choice but to reoccupy Gaza, from which it withdrew all troops and settlers in summer 2005.
"Following an attack like this -- a barrage of more than 50 rockets -- there is no alternative to a full reoccupation of the entire Gaza Strip," he told private Channel 2 television.
In Gaza, Islamic Jihad's armed wing the Al-Quds Brigades issued a statement saying its bombardment would continue in response to Israel's "aggression" in Tuesday's air strike.
Hamas warned Israel against escalating the confrontation.
"We hold the occupation responsible, we warn of the consequences of any escalation and we reiterate that resistance is the right of the Palestinian people to defend itself," said Ihab al-Ghassin, a spokesman for the Islamist movement Hamas, which governs Gaza.
Source: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

israeli warplanes pounded 29 targets in gaza strip israeli warplanes pounded 29 targets in gaza strip

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

israeli warplanes pounded 29 targets in gaza strip israeli warplanes pounded 29 targets in gaza strip

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 06:15 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Volkswagen clinches record sales

GMT 09:54 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

'Friendly and kind' N. Korean skaters

GMT 10:18 2018 Thursday ,30 August

Iran incapable of closing Hormuz, Bab Al Mandeb

GMT 11:38 2017 Tuesday ,14 November

Barrett gets shot at World Rugby award double

GMT 22:28 2011 Thursday ,10 February

The intermingling of the domestic and the foreign

GMT 06:38 2017 Monday ,21 August

First eclipse in 99 years to sweep North America

GMT 06:59 2017 Saturday ,13 May

King's support at Windsor

GMT 08:12 2017 Sunday ,19 November

EU-Mercosur free-trade pact supporters push for deal

GMT 08:23 2012 Saturday ,18 February

Pop star Katy Perry will donate

GMT 05:11 2013 Sunday ,29 December

Lea Michele to release solo album

GMT 07:02 2011 Sunday ,07 August

Canadian dollar falls on slowing global economy

GMT 06:42 2011 Sunday ,03 July

China\'s service activity cools in June

GMT 10:38 2011 Tuesday ,13 December

Kingdom\'s GDP to grow 5.1% in 2011
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice