italy suspends operations at libya embassy
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

About 100 Italians evacuated by ship

Italy suspends operations at Libya embassy

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Italy suspends operations at Libya embassy

Smoke rises from the port of the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi
Rome - Arab Today

Italy said Sunday it was pulling out staff from its embassy in Libya and suspending operations there because of mounting insecurity in the troubled country.
The move came as Rome reiterated its willingness to lead a multinational force to tackle the growing jihadist threat in Libya, a former Italian colony.
In total, about 100 Italians were being evacuated by ship from the north African state, foreign ministry sources said.
The ministry said the embassy -- the last Western mission to remain open in Libya -- has "suspended its activities because of the worsening security situation".
But it said in a statement that "essential services" would continue.
Rome had on Friday warned its nationals against travelling to Libya and urged those already there to leave as the jihadists gain ground.
However, hundreds of Italians, working in the Libyan oil and gas sector, remain in the country.  
Defence Minister Roberta Pinotti said in an interview published Sunday that Italy was ready to lead a coalition from Europe and north African states to battle against the advance of jihadists in Libya.
"We have been discussing this for months but now it has become urgent," Pinotti told Il Messaggero newspaper, adding that Italy was willing to send in thousands of men.
Since dictator Moamer Kadhafi was toppled and killed in a NATO-backed revolt in 2011, Libya has been plagued by conflict among rival forces battling for control of key cities and the country's oil riches.
- 'Risk is imminent' -
Taking advantage of the chaos, Islamic State militants who have already grabbed swathes of land in Syria and Iraq have claimed a string of deadly attacks.
The latest targeted a luxury hotel in Tripoli on January 27, when nine people were killed, five of them foreigners.
"The risk is imminent, we cannot wait any longer. Italy has national defence needs and cannot have a caliphate ruling across the shores from us," Pinotti said.
She said the risk of jihadists arriving in Italy on boats carrying immigrants from Libya "could not be ruled out".
Thousands of migrants escaping war or famine make the perilous crossing across the Mediterranean from north Africa to Europe, but large numbers perish.
In the latest tragedy last week, more than 300 died when their overcrowded rubber dinghies collapsed and sank in stormy seas.  
The Vatican's representative in Tripoli, Bishop Giovanni Martinelli told the La Stampa newspaper that he wanted to stay in Libya for the moment in solidarity with 300 Filipino Catholics still there.
Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi had told public television on Saturday that Rome was committed to intervening in Libya, and called for a stronger UN mission.
"We have told Europe and the international community that we have to stop sleeping," he said.
"We need a stronger UN mission. Italy is ready, as part of a UN mission to fulfill its role to defend an idea of freedom in the Mediterranean region."
Source: AFP

 

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

italy suspends operations at libya embassy italy suspends operations at libya embassy

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

italy suspends operations at libya embassy italy suspends operations at libya embassy

 



GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 05:04 2024 Tuesday ,06 February

Skincare PR Performance Full Year 2017

GMT 19:19 2018 Sunday ,07 January

Has the good fortune for ETFs run its course?

GMT 10:31 2014 Tuesday ,23 December

Mirages of failure: Lebanon cannot wait

GMT 10:35 2011 Thursday ,06 October

3 Syrian Army and Police martyrs laid to rest

GMT 20:32 2014 Tuesday ,16 December

Egypt criticise attack on Pakistan army school

GMT 06:53 2017 Friday ,17 February

Tunisia announces visa exemption for Chinese tourists

GMT 08:23 2017 Wednesday ,01 November

Saudi Arabia to allow women spectators in stadiums

GMT 12:57 2017 Saturday ,28 October

Libyan army deploys additional forces in Oil Crescent

GMT 12:24 2014 Monday ,03 November

Hlavackova, Hradecka team up again after split

GMT 15:58 2013 Sunday ,03 March

Xinhua launches new media newswire service

GMT 08:33 2012 Wednesday ,07 March

GCC swimming championship begins today
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice