saudi death sentence for top qaeda man \held for decade\
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

For a wave of violence erupted in the kingdom in 2003

Saudi death sentence for top Qaeda man \'held for decade\'

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Saudi death sentence for top Qaeda man \'held for decade\'

A view of the general court in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Riyadh - Arab Today

A view of the general court in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia A Saudi court sentenced to death on Wednesday the "chief strategist" of a wave of Al-Qaeda violence that erupted in the kingdom in 2003, a decade after his reported arrest. Faris al-Zahrani had been in custody ever since his detention near the Yemeni border in 2004, the Al-Madina newspaper reported on its website.
The official Saudi Press Agency gave neither his name nor the date of his arrest in the southwestern city of Abha, saying only that he had shown no remorse while in custody.
The trial, in which 16 co-defendants were also sentenced to prison terms of up to 20 years, was the latest in a series of prosecutions begun in July 2011 for alleged offences committed during the peak of Al-Qaeda violence in the oil kingpin between 2003 and 2006.
Saudi authorities had previously focused on efforts to reform those detained for "deviating" from officially sanctioned Islam by preaching jihad or holy war, boasting of successful results from its well-funded rehabilitation centres.
Throughout his trial, the chief defendant continued to defy the authority of the state and to defend the killing of security personnel as an act justified by his faith, SPA said.
He showed every sign that if released he would continue to propagate his ideas, it added.
"He was detained in a public park in Abha in the possession of weapons that he intended to use to kill policemen or any civilian who got in his way," it said of his original arrest, which dealt a heavy blow to the jihadist network in the kingdom.
The co-accused, whose arrest dates were also not specified, were convicted of charges including "arms possession, participation in acts of terror, forging of official documents and assisting terrorists."
Al-Qaeda's now slain historic leader Osama bin Laden was Saudi-born and 15 of the 19 perpetrators of the September 11, 2001 attacks in the United States were Saudis.
Saudi authorities launched a massive crackdown on the jihadist network over the past decade that prompted many of its militants to shift base to neighbouring Yemen.
The merged franchise they formed, Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, is regarded by Washington as one of the jihadist network's most dangerous.
Source: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

saudi death sentence for top qaeda man \held for decade\ saudi death sentence for top qaeda man \held for decade\

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

saudi death sentence for top qaeda man \held for decade\ saudi death sentence for top qaeda man \held for decade\

 



GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 05:04 2024 Tuesday ,06 February

Skincare PR Performance Full Year 2017

GMT 19:19 2018 Sunday ,07 January

Has the good fortune for ETFs run its course?

GMT 10:31 2014 Tuesday ,23 December

Mirages of failure: Lebanon cannot wait

GMT 10:35 2011 Thursday ,06 October

3 Syrian Army and Police martyrs laid to rest

GMT 20:32 2014 Tuesday ,16 December

Egypt criticise attack on Pakistan army school

GMT 06:53 2017 Friday ,17 February

Tunisia announces visa exemption for Chinese tourists

GMT 08:23 2017 Wednesday ,01 November

Saudi Arabia to allow women spectators in stadiums

GMT 12:57 2017 Saturday ,28 October

Libyan army deploys additional forces in Oil Crescent

GMT 12:24 2014 Monday ,03 November

Hlavackova, Hradecka team up again after split

GMT 15:58 2013 Sunday ,03 March

Xinhua launches new media newswire service

GMT 08:33 2012 Wednesday ,07 March

GCC swimming championship begins today
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice