suicide bomber targets libyan parliament
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

18 people wounded include 3 lawmakers

Suicide bomber targets Libyan parliament

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Suicide bomber targets Libyan parliament

Fighter from Fajr Libya militia hold position during clashes with forces
Benghazi - Arab Today

A suicide bomber blew up a car outside the headquarters of Libya's internationally recognised parliament Tuesday, wounding three lawmakers, a legislator said.
The attack, which a medical source said wounded a total of 18 people, came as a Libyan jet shot down a militia helicopter after Islamist-led fighters launched strikes on the eastern Al-Sidra oil terminal.
The car bomb struck near the back gate of the Dar al-Salam Hotel in the eastern city of Tobruk, where the parliament elected in June took refuge after Islamist-led militias seized control of Tripoli in August.
Farj Buhashem, a spokesman for the legislature, said parliament was meeting on the ground floor when the blast went off.
"There was broken glass and some pedestrians were injured," he said.
Lawmaker Tareq Jarushi, speaking to AFP by telephone from Tobruk, said that the blast was caused by a suicide bomber who rammed his car into the back gate.
"Witnesses saw a car painted in military colours ramming the back gate and then explode," said Jarushi.
Jarushi, who is the son of air force chief Brigadier General Saqr Jarushi, said body parts had been found at the scene of the bombing, "indicating that this was a suicide attack."
Three lawmakers who were outside the building at the time were slightly wounded by shattered glass, he said.
A source at a Tobruk hospital said 18 people were treated for minor wounds and later released.
The attack comes as the UN mission to Libya, UNSMIL, plans a new round of peace talks between warring factions aimed at ending months of violence and political deadlock in the North African nation.
UNSMIL deplored what it called the despicable attack, urging all sides "to desist from violence and to seek to resolve their political and security crises through dialogue".
An EU statement said the violence "can only bring further suffering to the Libyan people," adding that the European Union is prepared to impose previously adopted UN sanctions on those fuelling the violence.
More than three years after dictator Moamer Kadhafi was toppled and killed in a NATO-backed revolt, the country remains awash with weapons and powerful militias, and has rival governments and parliaments.
The UN-brokered talks are set to take place on January 5, diplomats at the UN Security Council said last week.
But Libya's internationally recognised parliament voted Monday not to attend the negotiations if the rival legislature in Tripoli is party to the talks, according to lawmaker Abdulsalam Nassiyeh.
- Chopper downed -
The suicide bombing came as militia aircraft, including a helicopter, attacked pro-government forces in the so-called "oil crescent" eastern region around Al-Sidra oil terminal, said military spokesman Ali al-Hassi.
"The air force shot down the helicopter as it prepared to land at a military base near Sirte airport, after it had taken part with other aircraft in the air raids," Hassi said.
There were no immediate reports of casualties.
Fighters from the Islamist-led Fajr Libya (Libya Dawn) coalition of militias, which controls much of Tripoli, as well as second and third cities Benghazi and Misrata, have been trying to seize Al-Sidra and nearby Ras Lanuf terminals.
They launched a surprise attack by speedboat on Thursday in which 22 soldiers in the Al-Sidra area were killed.
Seven oil tanks at Al-Sidra were set on fire as a result of the fighting. On Sunday, firefighters managed to extinguish the blazes at four of them and put out another fire on Monday.
There are 19 tanks at Al-Sidra, and two of them are still ablaze, raising concern that if the fires are not brought under control they could spread and disrupt Libya's key oil industry.
On Monday, Libya's internationally recognised government approved a $6 million (4.9 million euro) deal with a US firm that will send experts to extinguish the fires, a statement said.
Libya's oil production has dropped to less than 350,000 barrels per day since clashes first erupted around the export terminals on December 13, from 800,000 previously, industry experts say.
The fighting has alarmed investors, who are concerned about possible disruptions.
On Sunday, pro-government forces raided the militia-held city of Misrata, after a Fajr Libya launched a new assault on Al-Sidra.
The UN mission in Libya has denounced both the assault on Al-Sidra and the strikes on Misrata.
Source: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

suicide bomber targets libyan parliament suicide bomber targets libyan parliament

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

suicide bomber targets libyan parliament suicide bomber targets libyan parliament

 



GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 05:04 2024 Tuesday ,06 February

Skincare PR Performance Full Year 2017

GMT 19:19 2018 Sunday ,07 January

Has the good fortune for ETFs run its course?

GMT 10:31 2014 Tuesday ,23 December

Mirages of failure: Lebanon cannot wait

GMT 10:35 2011 Thursday ,06 October

3 Syrian Army and Police martyrs laid to rest

GMT 20:32 2014 Tuesday ,16 December

Egypt criticise attack on Pakistan army school

GMT 06:53 2017 Friday ,17 February

Tunisia announces visa exemption for Chinese tourists

GMT 08:23 2017 Wednesday ,01 November

Saudi Arabia to allow women spectators in stadiums

GMT 12:57 2017 Saturday ,28 October

Libyan army deploys additional forces in Oil Crescent

GMT 12:24 2014 Monday ,03 November

Hlavackova, Hradecka team up again after split

GMT 15:58 2013 Sunday ,03 March

Xinhua launches new media newswire service

GMT 08:33 2012 Wednesday ,07 March

GCC swimming championship begins today
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice