thousands flee during truce in restive north lebanon
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Qaeda renewed threat to execute another soldier

Thousands flee during truce in restive north Lebanon

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Thousands flee during truce in restive north Lebanon

Lebanese soldiers raid an apartment in Lebanon's northern port city of Tripoli
Tripoli - Arab Today

Thousands of civilians fled their homes Sunday in a battered district of northern Lebanon's Tripoli, taking advantage of an informal truce in fighting between the army and Islamist militants.
An AFP journalist in Tripoli reported the lull after three days of heavy clashes in Tripoli, the country's second biggest city, even as the army vowed to crush the militants.
But Syria's Al-Qaeda branch renewed a threat that it will execute one of 27 Lebanese soldiers it has held hostage since August unless the military halts its operations in Tripoli.
The coastal city has seen repeated clashes between Sunni militants sympathetic to rebel fighters in neighbouring Syria and Alawites loyal to the Damascus regime.
The Sunnis have recently focussed their attacks on the army over its alleged support for Damascus ally Hezbollah.
The latest clashes erupted on Friday at the city's historic market, which is a major tourist attraction.
On Sunday army mortar fire pounded the impoverished, outlying neighbourhood of Islamist bastion Bab al-Tebbaneh, where the gunmen were pushed back and cornered.
Five civilians have been killed in three days, among them a child and two adults on Sunday, said a security official.
After pleas from residents and mediation by clerics, the army allowed thousands of civilians who had been caught in the crossfire for hours to flee Bab al-Tebbaneh.
The AFP journalist on the spot described chaotic scenes as people of all ages left their ravaged neighbourhood.
Many of the women walked out in their pyjamas, crying as they and the men were searched by army and intelligence troops.
Men carried out children and elderly people too weak to walk.
Five wounded civilians and dozens of people suffering from illness were evacuated in Red Cross ambulances.
Many went to stay with relatives. Others were put up in schools, which the authorities said would be closed on Monday, along with universities, because of the violence.
It is unclear how long the informal humanitarian truce will last, and the army has said it has no intention on letting up in the fight.
"We are going through with this operation to the end," a military source said.
Bab al-Tebbaneh is home to some 100,000 people, while the parts of the neighbourhood where the fighting is worst is usually inhabited by some 15,000.
The AFP journalist said that even in areas far from the fighting, the streets were empty, with people too fearful to leave their homes.
- Execution threat -
Earlier, the army said gunmen ambushed a patrol north of Tripoli, killing four soldiers.
"This afternoon, an army unit was targeted by a terrorist group while deploying in Duhur al-Mohammara. A clash broke out, which caused several casualties in the (militants') ranks, while four soldiers including two officers were martyred," said a statement.
Meanwhile a soldier kidnapped at the weekend was released after mediation by officials and clerics, a security source said.
A second soldier kidnapped on Sunday was still being held by the gunmen.
Al-Qaeda's Syrian affiliate meanwhile threatened to kill at dawn on Monday a Lebanese soldier it captured in August during a bloody battle in restive Arsal unless the army halts its Tripoli operations.
Al-Nusra Front has previously executed one captive Lebanese soldier.
The latest threat, issued via the group's Twitter account, came after two previous warnings on Sunday, which it apparently backtracked on.
Both Al-Nusra and rival Islamic State group jihadists captured 30 Lebanese soldiers and police in August around the eastern town of Arsal, close to the Syrian border.
They have since executed two of them.
Al-Nusra has previously demanded that in return for the release of its prisoners, Shiite militant group Hezbollah end its intervention in Syria on the side of President Bashar al-Assad's regime and that Lebanon free jailed Islamists.
The Lebanese government has so far rejected the terms.
Islamist gunmen in Tripoli have carried out repeated attacks against the army, accusing it of cooperating with Hezbollah.
The August fighting in Arsal -- a Sunni enclave within the mainly Shiite Bekaa Valley border region -- was the most serious in Lebanon since the Syrian conflict erupted in March 2011.
Source: AFP

 

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

thousands flee during truce in restive north lebanon thousands flee during truce in restive north lebanon

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

thousands flee during truce in restive north lebanon thousands flee during truce in restive north lebanon

 



GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 19:57 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Farm-fresh from Kerala to the UAE, in just one day

GMT 01:36 2011 Thursday ,10 March

Geothermal Energy

GMT 09:15 2018 Friday ,12 January

Einstein's love letters, LPs set for Asian exhibits

GMT 14:47 2017 Friday ,10 November

Foreign Minister Meets Kuwaiti Counterpart

GMT 04:37 2017 Thursday ,19 January

DEWA and Masdar to break ground on Phase 3

GMT 06:24 2018 Tuesday ,02 January

Freezing New York welcomes 2018

GMT 10:49 2017 Tuesday ,13 June

Actress Nelly Karim reveals message

GMT 10:09 2012 Monday ,30 January

Sarkozy announces French financial transaction tax

GMT 03:24 2017 Monday ,13 March

Book review: Wounding the World

GMT 09:47 2017 Thursday ,27 July

Actress Nelly Karim is keen to keep her success

GMT 23:54 2017 Wednesday ,14 June

Actress Dina reveals her role

GMT 12:50 2018 Monday ,01 January

Kim calls on North to mass-produce nukes, missiles

GMT 06:07 2017 Monday ,27 February

Sheds light on major steps in 12-year career
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice