un confirms hundreds slaughtered in south sudan
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

353 civilians, people sheltering in a mosque

UN confirms hundreds slaughtered in South Sudan

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice UN confirms hundreds slaughtered in South Sudan

United Nations Special Advisor for the Prevention of Genocide Adama Dieng (L)
Juba - Arab Today

Rebels in South Sudan slaughtered at least 353 civilians in April last year, including people sheltering in a mosque, hospital and a United Nations base, UN rights investigators said Friday.
The report is the first detailed account of two incidents that have highlighted a pattern of gross abuses and atrocities committed during the year-old civil war in the world's youngest nation.
The UN also noted that nearly nine months after the events, "no perpetrator has been held accountable" for the killings.
In the April 15 attack on the northern oil-town of Bentiu, fighters backing South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar murdered at least 287 civilians sheltering in a mosque, many of them traders and their families from neighbouring Sudan's Darfur region.
Later that day, 19 civilians were killed in the town's hospital, UN investigators said.
Fighters also took to the radio urging rival groups to be forced from the town and for men to rape women from the rival tribe.
"Victims were deliberately targeted on the basis of their ethnicity, nationality or perceived support for one of the parties to the conflict," the UN said in a 33-page report.
Two days later on April 17, in the eastern town of Bor, a gang of heavily-armed men marched on the UN base, where hundreds of civilians had fled to for protection.
The "mob forcibly entered the protection site and went on a rampage of killing, looting and abductions", the report by the UN peacekeeping mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) said, adding the assault left at least 47 dead and was likely to have been "planned in advance".
The attack on Bentiu and the UN base in Bor are two of the most high profile massacres in a long list of atrocities carried out in the more than a year-long civil war.
At least 353 civilians were killed and another 250 were wounded in the two attacks, the UN said.
No overall death toll for the war has been kept, either by the government, rebels or the United Nations, although the International Crisis Group says it estimates that at least 50,000 people have been killed.
Some diplomats suggest it could be double that figure, while hunger and disease have killed thousands more.
Fighting broke out in South Sudan, the world's youngest nation, in December 2013 when President Kiir accused his sacked deputy Riek Machar of attempting a coup.
The fighting in the capital Juba set off a cycle of retaliatory massacres across the country, pushing it to the brink of famine. Both government forces loyal to Kiir and rebels loyal to Machar continue to fight, despite numerous ceasefire deals.
Source: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

un confirms hundreds slaughtered in south sudan un confirms hundreds slaughtered in south sudan

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

un confirms hundreds slaughtered in south sudan un confirms hundreds slaughtered in south sudan

 



GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 19:57 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Farm-fresh from Kerala to the UAE, in just one day

GMT 01:36 2011 Thursday ,10 March

Geothermal Energy

GMT 09:15 2018 Friday ,12 January

Einstein's love letters, LPs set for Asian exhibits

GMT 14:47 2017 Friday ,10 November

Foreign Minister Meets Kuwaiti Counterpart

GMT 04:37 2017 Thursday ,19 January

DEWA and Masdar to break ground on Phase 3

GMT 06:24 2018 Tuesday ,02 January

Freezing New York welcomes 2018

GMT 10:49 2017 Tuesday ,13 June

Actress Nelly Karim reveals message

GMT 10:09 2012 Monday ,30 January

Sarkozy announces French financial transaction tax

GMT 03:24 2017 Monday ,13 March

Book review: Wounding the World

GMT 09:47 2017 Thursday ,27 July

Actress Nelly Karim is keen to keep her success

GMT 23:54 2017 Wednesday ,14 June

Actress Dina reveals her role

GMT 12:50 2018 Monday ,01 January

Kim calls on North to mass-produce nukes, missiles

GMT 06:07 2017 Monday ,27 February

Sheds light on major steps in 12-year career
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice