us britain france rush to close yemen embassies
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

With destroying top-secret documents

US, Britain, France rush to close Yemen embassies

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice US, Britain, France rush to close Yemen embassies

A Yemeni soldier stands guard outside the United States' embassy
Sanaa - Arab Today

The United States, Britain and France rushed to close their embassies over security fears in Yemen, with US staff destroying top-secret documents and abandoning vehicles at the airport.
The hasty exit came as thousands joined rival demonstrations over last week's Shiite militia takeover, which was widely condemned as a coup.
The Shiite militia said Thursday the closures were "unjustified" and promised to return US embassy vehicles it had seized.
Hussein al-Ezzi, described as the Huthi militia's head of foreign relations, said the closures were designed to put "pressure" on the Yemeni people.
"The decisions of some Western countries to close their embassies in Sanaa are absolutely unjustified," he was quoted as saying by the official Saba news agency, which is under Huthi control.
Ezzi said the countries that closed their embassies "will quickly realise that it is in their interests to deal positively with the will of the Yemeni people, which they must respect."
Long on the front line of the US war against Al-Qaeda, Yemen has descended into chaos since the militia, known as Huthis, seized the capital Sanaa in September and ousted the parliament last week.
The United Nations has demanded the reinstatement of the Western-backed leader Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi -- who resigned last month and is under effective house arrest -- but its efforts to broker a deal have failed so far.
Earlier militia leader Abdulmalik al-Huthi said some people "are raising concerns among diplomatic missions so that they flee the country."
"These fears are unfounded. The security situation is stable."
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Hossein Amir Abdolahian also criticised the "hasty action" of closing the embassies, insisting the Huthis were fighting "corruption and terrorism".
Huthi, often accused of receiving support from Tehran, has repeatedly portrayed his militia's advance into Sunni-majority areas as a battle against jihadists and called for Western support.
After weeks of internal deliberations and drawing down staff, Washington finally closed its Sanaa embassy over the "deteriorating security situation," evacuating staff to Muscat late Tuesday on a private Omani jet.
State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki thanked Oman's sultan for his help as well as Qatar, saying most staff were now en route back to Washington.
All the US Marines also left the country, taking commercial flights. Officials stressed that there were still US special forces on the ground to carry on the fight against Al-Qaeda.
US officials refused to say how many people were evacuated, but there were said to be dozens of Marines in Sanaa -- a larger than usual contingent.
- Sensitive materials destroyed -
Before evacuating, the Marines "destroyed their heavy weapons and crew-served weapons, machine guns and such," Pentagon spokesman Colonel Steven Warren told reporters.
The Marine Corps said in a statement that no personal weapons had been handed over to Yemeni authorities, saying these had been smashed with sledgehammers.
Computers, documents, telephones and other sensitive materials were also destroyed, local embassy employees told AFP.
Psaki refused to go into specifics, other than to say that normal procedures had been followed, adding "we take every precaution necessary".
A wrecking crane was used to destroy numerous vehicles, while those used to evacuate the embassy staff were seized by militiamen at Sanaa airport.
They included three cars used by Ambassador Matthew Tueller and his staff, and more than 25 vehicles used by the Marines in charge of security, airport sources said.
Militiamen were later seen taking up positions around the embassy.
Psaki said the seizure of the vehicles was "completely unacceptable" and urged the Huthis to "respect international conventions" regarding the embassy site.
Britain also evacuated its diplomats, with a senior official saying: "Regrettably we now judge that our embassy staff and premises are at increased risk."
France called on its 100 or so citizens in Yemen to leave the country and said it would close its embassy from Friday over mounting security fears.
Arab Spring protests in 2011 had raised hopes of democratic reform after more than three decades of iron-fisted rule by veteran strongman Ali Abdullah Saleh.
But Saleh's departure from office in early 2012 left a power vacuum that the Huthis and Al-Qaeda have vied to fill.
In Sanaa, the militiamen fired warning shots and used batons and daggers to disperse hundreds rallying against them, while thousands of their supporters gathered in Change Square.
Washington has been at pains to stress its battle against Al-Qaeda and the jihadists' Yemen branch will continue.
"There continue to be Department of Defense personnel ... on the ground in Yemen that are coordinating with their counterparts," said White House spokesman Josh Earnest.
They were carrying out "the counterterrorism actions that are necessary to protect the American people and our interests around the world".
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) is considered the jihadist network's most dangerous branch.
Source: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

us britain france rush to close yemen embassies us britain france rush to close yemen embassies

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

us britain france rush to close yemen embassies us britain france rush to close yemen embassies

 



GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 05:04 2024 Tuesday ,06 February

Skincare PR Performance Full Year 2017

GMT 19:19 2018 Sunday ,07 January

Has the good fortune for ETFs run its course?

GMT 10:31 2014 Tuesday ,23 December

Mirages of failure: Lebanon cannot wait

GMT 10:35 2011 Thursday ,06 October

3 Syrian Army and Police martyrs laid to rest

GMT 20:32 2014 Tuesday ,16 December

Egypt criticise attack on Pakistan army school

GMT 06:53 2017 Friday ,17 February

Tunisia announces visa exemption for Chinese tourists

GMT 08:23 2017 Wednesday ,01 November

Saudi Arabia to allow women spectators in stadiums

GMT 12:57 2017 Saturday ,28 October

Libyan army deploys additional forces in Oil Crescent

GMT 12:24 2014 Monday ,03 November

Hlavackova, Hradecka team up again after split

GMT 15:58 2013 Sunday ,03 March

Xinhua launches new media newswire service

GMT 08:33 2012 Wednesday ,07 March

GCC swimming championship begins today
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice