us says air raid in syria killed 2 children
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

First time acknowledged civilian casualties

US says air raid in Syria killed 2 children

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice US says air raid in Syria killed 2 children

Pair of US Air Force F-15E Strike Eagles flying after conducting airstrikes in Syria
Washington - Arab Today

US air strikes against Islamist extremists in Syria killed two children by mistake, officials said Thursday, marking the first time the American military acknowledged inflicting civilian casualties in the war.

"We regret the unintentional loss of lives," Lieutenant General James Terry, head of the US-led air campaign against Daesh group, said in a statement, citing the results of an investigation.

The air strikes on November 5-6 last year were targeting members of the Khorasan group, an offshoot of Al-Qaeda, in Harim City, according to the inquiry's conclusions.

"The strikes were designed to destroy targets utilized by Khorasan group-affiliated extremists to meet and manufacture explosives," the report said.

But the bombing killed two children -- including the daughter of a militant -- and caused "minor injuries" to two civilian workers who lived near the buildings that were targeted, it said.

In assessments prior to the air raid, there were no reports that children could be in the area, the probe concluded.

The air strikes were carried out in accordance with extensive rules designed to avoid civilian deaths and the targets were deemed "valid military targets," it said.

The report found no wrongdoing or negligence by military forces overseeing or carrying out the strikes.

Human rights groups have alleged dozens of civilians have been killed in various air strikes on extremists in Syria and Iraq.

But Pentagon officials had maintained previously that they could not confirm with certainty that any civilians had been inadvertently killed in the US-led air campaign in Iraq and Syria, despite more than 4,000 bombing raids.

The air war was launched in Iraq in August and extended to Syria in September.

Military investigators had reviewed an account of the strike from the Syrian Network for Human Rights, statements from Syrian "civil society contacts" to the State Department and video from the strike, the inquiry report said.

"It is important to note that the current environment in Syria and Iraq makes investigating these allegations extremely challenging," Pentagon spokeswoman Commander Elissa Smith said.

"Traditional investigative methods, such as interviewing witnesses and examining the site, are not typically available," she said.

"However, we also consider information provided to us by other US government departments and agencies such as human rights documentation groups, and we seek to investigate as thoroughly as possible given the limitations."

US defense officials had previously said the same strikes in Syria in November 2014 had killed a French bombmaker, David Drugeon, who was portrayed as a key figure in the Khorasan group.
Source: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

us says air raid in syria killed 2 children us says air raid in syria killed 2 children

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

us says air raid in syria killed 2 children us says air raid in syria killed 2 children

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 16:17 2018 Thursday ,30 August

Five Saudi women pilots granted GACA licences

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eight

GMT 21:36 2017 Thursday ,04 May

College Celebrates Graduation of 43 Officers

GMT 11:51 2017 Monday ,13 November

Aid enters devastated rebel town near Syria capital

GMT 13:11 2017 Wednesday ,27 September

NASA-led project to build the first lunar space station

GMT 07:10 2017 Monday ,08 May

UAE in universal mission to reduce suffering

GMT 03:02 2017 Wednesday ,08 February

Daesh damaging Mosul houses to demand repair fee
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice