
A Yemeni soldier checks vehicles near Sanaa International Airport
Negotiators working to secure the release of a South African man kidnapped in Yemen by Al-Qaeda said Tuesday they had lost contact with the group, just days before a ransom deadline. "We are in a very difficult period concerning
Pierre Korkie," said Imtiaz Sooliman, president of the Gift of the Givers charity organisation.
"We've lost all communication with Al-Qaeda for eight days now," he said, adding there was no indication whether the English teacher was still alive after being kidnapped in May.
Kidnappers are demanding $3 million (2.2 million euros) for his release before Saturday's deadline.
"This has been the longest and most worrying period of silence in talks with them," Sooliman said.
"There is no way we can initiate contact with them as they continually change sim cards."
The talks broke down last week after Korkie's captors accused one of the negotiating team of stealing ransom money, forcing him to flee the country.
The group believed that South Africa's deputy foreign minister Ebrahim Ebrahim, who had travelled to Yemen to appeal for Korkie's release, had brought the money, although this was denied by the South African government.
"Our only hope for Pierre now is for us to receive a call from the kidnappers where issues can be clarified regarding the misconception around the ransom they assumed was brought for them," Sooliman said in a statement.
Korkie was abducted along with his wife, Yolande, who was freed on January 10 with the help of the charity group.
Source: AFP
GMT 16:51 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Lavrov tells West not to obstruct anti-terror operationsGMT 08:47 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Greenland, Faroe Islands tricky modelsGMT 08:44 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
World powers step up pressure on Syria, RussiaGMT 08:39 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Another Sisi rival at risk of exiting Egypt election raceGMT 08:30 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Myanmar blames Bangladesh for delayed Rohingya returnGMT 08:26 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
World powers meet to pressure Syria on chemical attacksGMT 08:20 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Turkey clashes with Kurdish militia as US sounds alarmGMT 09:06 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
US Democrats accept compromise to end government shutdown

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor