progress in ebola fight but substantial risks remain
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

After fifth emergency meeting on haemorrhagic fever

'Progress' in Ebola fight, but 'substantial risks' remain

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice 'Progress' in Ebola fight, but 'substantial risks' remain

Sierra Leone health officials check passengers transiting at border crossing with Liberia
Geneva - Arab Today

Real progress is being made in the fight against Ebola, but the deadly outbreak in west Africa remains a major international health emergency, the World Health Organization said Friday.

The UN health agency said after its fifth emergency meeting on the haemorrhagic fever that the situation in the worst-hit countries of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone remained a "public health emergency of international concern".

But the experts, who met Thursday, had said they "believed the risk of international spread appeared to be reducing," Bruce Aylward, who heads WHO's Ebola response, told reporters in Geneva.

This is due to international vigilance, strict exit screening from the affected countries and especially the major efforts in those countries to rein in the spread of the virus.

The experts however took issue with "inappropriate" measures put in place by some countries, including quarantining aid workers, closing borders and cancelling flights.

Such measures not only interfere with international travel and impact local economies, but also hamper Ebola response and recovery efforts because they make it more difficult for aid workers to move in and out of the affected countries, Aylward said.

The west African countries ravaged by the virus, which has claimed nearly 10,600 lives in the past 15 months, have meanwhile made significant strides in cutting transmission, he said.

Last week, Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia registered only 30 new confirmed cases, down from 82 a week earlier and 150 three weeks ago.

While Liberia, long the hardest-hit country, has registered no new cases for several weeks, Sierra Leone last week saw nine and Guinea, where the outbreak started in December 2013, counted 21.

At the height of the outbreak last September and October, Libera was registering more than 300 new cases each week.

Aylward said the significant decline in transmission "reflects real progress."

While new cases are still popping up along their coasts, the three countries appeared to be "on track" to meet their target to halt transmission completely in the interior before the rainy season begins next month, flooding roads and making it all the more difficult to bring in assistance.

But "the risks are still substantial", Aylward warned, pointing out that the deadly outbreak "began with one case", meaning a single case could potentially spark a resurgence of the disease.

While the affected countries have made great progress in improving contact tracing and in engaging with communities, dangerous behaviours like unsafe burials of contagious bodies or caring for the sick at home are still going on, he said.

Only about 50 percent of new cases in Sierra Leone last week, and less in Guinea came from lists of known contacts, which "means you don't have complete control," Aylward added.
Source: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

progress in ebola fight but substantial risks remain progress in ebola fight but substantial risks remain

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

progress in ebola fight but substantial risks remain progress in ebola fight but substantial risks remain

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 12:23 2017 Saturday ,07 October

Nadal defies 'tennis ball hair' mishap to sweep

GMT 05:03 2012 Tuesday ,21 February

Libyan fans cheer return of international soccer

GMT 19:01 2011 Monday ,08 August

\'Jordan’s GCC accession to start in September\'

GMT 01:50 2012 Saturday ,08 December

Rolling Stones join Sandy concert

GMT 14:33 2011 Friday ,10 June

Tens of thousands rally after Friday prayers

GMT 03:09 2012 Friday ,27 July

Alchemist author plays with reality in new book

GMT 12:58 2013 Monday ,04 November

Bring in 300,000 tourists to Emirate

GMT 23:34 2012 Wednesday ,04 July

Khalidiya - Abu Dhabi\'s new food destination

GMT 00:27 2011 Sunday ,23 October

Visa scandal kills University of Wales

GMT 16:35 2011 Wednesday ,09 February

Samer al-Atrush / AFP

GMT 12:01 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Bahrain Bourse daily trading performance

GMT 09:11 2018 Thursday ,11 January

China orders 184 Airbus A320 planes: France
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice