saudi mers infections soar ahead of hajj pilgrimage
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Forcing closure of major hospital's emergency ward

Saudi MERS infections soar ahead of hajj pilgrimage

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Saudi MERS infections soar ahead of hajj pilgrimage

MERS is considered a deadlier but less infectious cousin of SARS virus
Riyadh - Arab Today

MERS coronavirus infections have soared in Saudi Arabia ahead of the hajj pilgrimage, forcing the closure of a major hospital's emergency ward in Riyadh and killing three people, officials and the press said.

The Saudi Gazette said Thursday authorities shut the emergency ward at the King Abdulaziz Medical City, one of the capital's largest hospitals, "after at least 46 people, including hospital staff" contracted the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome.

The closure was confirmed to AFP by a hospital employee.

The health ministry has said it registered 21 confirmed MERS infections, all except one of them in Riyadh, between August 9 and 15.

There was no immediate explanation for the difference in the figures.

Health Minister Khalid al-Falih said late Wednesday the hospital "has faced a spread of the coronavirus during the past few weeks, which started as one case."

However, in remarks carried by the official SPA news agency, he gave reassurances that the cases were "still limited."

He urged "vigilance when contacting people with respiratory illnesses" and preventive measures when visiting MERS patients.

The latest deaths occurred in Riyadh, and the victims were all Saudis aged between 65 and 86, the ministry said.

That raises to 483 the number of deaths from 1,118 MERS infections in Saudi Arabia, where the virus first appeared in 2012, according to the health ministry.

Saudi Arabia, preparing to host more than two million Muslims from all over the world for the annual hajj pilgrimage -- expected to begin on September 21 -- has been worst hit by the coronavirus.

Falih said authorities have "prepared a comprehensive preventive plan starting from entry points, to hajj sites, until the pilgrims return home."

The ministry will "dedicate all its efforts to prevent any infectious disease from spreading in the kingdom," SPA quoted him as saying.

Officials have declared last year's pilgrimage as epidemic-free after the oil-rich kingdom, home to Islam's holiest sites, engaged thousands of health workers to make sure pilgrims were protected from two deadly viruses -- Ebola and MERS.

MERS is considered a deadlier but less infectious cousin of the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) virus that appeared in Asia in 2003 and killed hundreds of people, mostly in China.

Its symptoms can include fever, coughing and shortness of breath.

There are no approved vaccines against MERS, which is believed to originate in camels.
Source: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

saudi mers infections soar ahead of hajj pilgrimage saudi mers infections soar ahead of hajj pilgrimage

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

saudi mers infections soar ahead of hajj pilgrimage saudi mers infections soar ahead of hajj pilgrimage

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 12:23 2017 Saturday ,07 October

Nadal defies 'tennis ball hair' mishap to sweep

GMT 05:03 2012 Tuesday ,21 February

Libyan fans cheer return of international soccer

GMT 19:01 2011 Monday ,08 August

\'Jordan’s GCC accession to start in September\'

GMT 01:50 2012 Saturday ,08 December

Rolling Stones join Sandy concert

GMT 14:33 2011 Friday ,10 June

Tens of thousands rally after Friday prayers

GMT 03:09 2012 Friday ,27 July

Alchemist author plays with reality in new book

GMT 12:58 2013 Monday ,04 November

Bring in 300,000 tourists to Emirate

GMT 23:34 2012 Wednesday ,04 July

Khalidiya - Abu Dhabi\'s new food destination

GMT 00:27 2011 Sunday ,23 October

Visa scandal kills University of Wales

GMT 16:35 2011 Wednesday ,09 February

Samer al-Atrush / AFP

GMT 12:01 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Bahrain Bourse daily trading performance

GMT 09:11 2018 Thursday ,11 January

China orders 184 Airbus A320 planes: France
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice