south korea reports no new mers cases or deaths
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Outbreak had been brought under control

South Korea reports no new MERS cases or deaths

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice South Korea reports no new MERS cases or deaths

Number of those infected with MERS remained unchanged for 2 days in a row at 182
Seoul - Arab Today

South Korea reported no new cases of MERS or deaths from the virus for the first time in nine days Monday, but officials warned there was no indication yet that the outbreak had been brought under control.

The number of those infected with Middle East Respiratory Syndrome remained unchanged for two days in a row at 182, the health ministry said.

The death toll also remained unchanged from 32 on Sunday. It is the first time that the country has reported no additional infections as well as no new deaths since June 20.

Then, officials voiced hope that they were winning the battle against the outbreak -- only to see the number of fatalities and infections rise again, sparking public criticism that their optimism was premature.

The number of new patients has generally been in decline since mid-June, when it often jumped by double digits -- with many of the new infections stemming from Samsung Medical Centre in Seoul, at the epicentre of the outbreak.

But officials remained cautious Monday as they monitored developments at another hospital in eastern Seoul, where a MERS patient potentially came into contact with thousands of people before being diagnosed on June 22 and dying two days later.

"This week falls within the incubation period involving that case, so we are keeping a close eye on the situation and will do our best to prevent further spread of the virus," Kwon Duk-Cheol, a senior health ministry official, told reporters.

A total of 2,682 people are currently under quarantine either in state facilities or at home.

Fourteen patients are in critical condition, the ministry said, adding a total of 93 people have recovered and been released from hospital, including two on Sunday.

The outbreak began on May 20 when a 68-year-old man was diagnosed after returning from a trip from Saudi Arabia.

Since then the potentially deadly virus has spread at an unusually rapid pace, becoming the largest outbreak outside Saudi Arabia and sparking public alarm at home and elsewhere in Asia.

There is no vaccine for the disease, which has a mortality rate of about 36 percent, according to World Health Organisation.

The fatality rate in South Korea is about 17 percent.

The outbreak has dealt a severe blow to the Asia's fourth-largest economy, with the government facing a storm of criticism for slow and insufficient response in the initial stages.

But officials remained cautious Monday as they monitored developments at another hospital in eastern Seoul, where a MERS patient potentially came into contact with thousands of people before being diagnosed on June 22 and dying two days later.

"This week falls within the incubation period involving that case, so we are keeping a close eye on the situation and will do our best to prevent further spread of the virus," Kwon Duk-Cheol, a senior health ministry official, told reporters.

A total of 2,682 people are currently under quarantine either in state facilities or at home.

Fourteen patients are in critical condition, the ministry said, adding a total of 93 people have recovered and been released from hospital, including two on Sunday.

The outbreak began on May 20 when a 68-year-old man was diagnosed after returning from a trip from Saudi Arabia.

Since then the potentially deadly virus has spread at an unusually rapid pace, becoming the largest outbreak outside Saudi Arabia and sparking public alarm at home and elsewhere in Asia.

There is no vaccine for the disease, which has a mortality rate of about 36 percent, according to World Health Organisation.

The fatality rate in South Korea is about 17 percent.

The outbreak has dealt a severe blow to the Asia's fourth-largest economy, with the government facing a storm of criticism for slow and insufficient response in the initial stages.
Source: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

south korea reports no new mers cases or deaths south korea reports no new mers cases or deaths

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

south korea reports no new mers cases or deaths south korea reports no new mers cases or deaths

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 12:23 2017 Saturday ,07 October

Nadal defies 'tennis ball hair' mishap to sweep

GMT 05:03 2012 Tuesday ,21 February

Libyan fans cheer return of international soccer

GMT 19:01 2011 Monday ,08 August

\'Jordan’s GCC accession to start in September\'

GMT 01:50 2012 Saturday ,08 December

Rolling Stones join Sandy concert

GMT 14:33 2011 Friday ,10 June

Tens of thousands rally after Friday prayers

GMT 03:09 2012 Friday ,27 July

Alchemist author plays with reality in new book

GMT 12:58 2013 Monday ,04 November

Bring in 300,000 tourists to Emirate

GMT 23:34 2012 Wednesday ,04 July

Khalidiya - Abu Dhabi\'s new food destination

GMT 00:27 2011 Sunday ,23 October

Visa scandal kills University of Wales

GMT 16:35 2011 Wednesday ,09 February

Samer al-Atrush / AFP

GMT 12:01 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Bahrain Bourse daily trading performance

GMT 09:11 2018 Thursday ,11 January

China orders 184 Airbus A320 planes: France
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice