south korea tourism struggles to recover from mers crisis
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

With visitor numbers plunging more than 40% in June

South Korea tourism struggles to recover from MERS crisis

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice South Korea tourism struggles to recover from MERS crisis

Number of tourists in June plunged 41% from a year earlier
Seoul - Arab Today

The recent outbreak of the deadly MERS virus in South Korea has left the country's tourist industry in intensive care, with visitor numbers plunging more than 40 percent in June, according to data released Tuesday.

As the country scrabbles to come up with promotional campaigns to lure the tourists back, officials are warning that the cost in lost revenue could be close to $10 billion.

The year had started off well for the tourist sector with the number of overseas arrivals in the first five months up 10.7 percent from the same period in 2014.

But then May 20 saw the first diagnosis of a case of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), kicking off an outbreak that claimed 36 lives and triggered widespread panic at home and mass tour cancellations abroad.

With 186 confirmed cases, it was the largest MERS outbreak outside Saudi Arabia.

The number of tourists in June plunged 41 percent from a year earlier to 750,925, the Korea Tourism Organisation (KTO) said.

The number of mainland Chinese -- the biggest spending visitors -- was down 45 percent, while arrivals from Taiwan and Hong Kong were down 76 percent and 75 percent respectively.

"Because of the MERS outbreak, foreign tourists, including those from China, shunned visiting this country last month", a KTO spokesman said, adding that the 2015 target of 16.2 million tourists was in serious jeopardy.

Unless the arrival figures are turned around, revenue losses could amount to as much as 108 billion won ($9.3 billion).

With no new MERS infections reported in more than two weeks, the state-run KTO and other officials have announced a number of measures to re-boot tourism, including waiving visa fees for group travellers from China and Southeast Asia.

The mayor of Seoul, Park Won-Soon, will travel to Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou early next month to talk to major travel agencies and persuade Chinese tourists that visiting South Korea poses no residual health risk.

The country's enormously popular K-pop industry has also been recruited, with stars signing up for a series of promotional concerts and performances both at home and abroad.
Source: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

south korea tourism struggles to recover from mers crisis south korea tourism struggles to recover from mers crisis

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

south korea tourism struggles to recover from mers crisis south korea tourism struggles to recover from mers crisis

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 12:23 2017 Saturday ,07 October

Nadal defies 'tennis ball hair' mishap to sweep

GMT 05:03 2012 Tuesday ,21 February

Libyan fans cheer return of international soccer

GMT 19:01 2011 Monday ,08 August

\'Jordan’s GCC accession to start in September\'

GMT 01:50 2012 Saturday ,08 December

Rolling Stones join Sandy concert

GMT 14:33 2011 Friday ,10 June

Tens of thousands rally after Friday prayers

GMT 03:09 2012 Friday ,27 July

Alchemist author plays with reality in new book

GMT 12:58 2013 Monday ,04 November

Bring in 300,000 tourists to Emirate

GMT 23:34 2012 Wednesday ,04 July

Khalidiya - Abu Dhabi\'s new food destination

GMT 00:27 2011 Sunday ,23 October

Visa scandal kills University of Wales

GMT 16:35 2011 Wednesday ,09 February

Samer al-Atrush / AFP

GMT 12:01 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Bahrain Bourse daily trading performance

GMT 09:11 2018 Thursday ,11 January

China orders 184 Airbus A320 planes: France
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice