philippines demands 14m from us over reef damage
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

2,345 square metres affected by grounded ship

Philippines demands $1.4m from US over reef damage

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Philippines demands $1.4m from US over reef damage

US officials announced all commanding officers had been relieved of their duties
Manila - Arabstoday

US officials announced all commanding officers had been relieved of their duties The Philippines will ask the United States to pay 58m pesos ($1.4m) in compensation for damage caused by a US warship to a protected coral reef, the manager of the reef said Saturday. The amount is based on studies by Philippine agencies including the coast guard that found the USS Guardian damaged at least 2,345 square metres of the protected Tubbataha reef, park superintendent Angelique Songco said.
She said a letter requesting compensation would be sent to the US embassy next week, stressing this is the amount required by a law passed to protect the reef, a UNESCO World Heritage site in a remote area of the Sulu Sea.
"We don't want to be dishonest. It is just a simple process: measure it correctly and then they pay. That is all. It is very straightforward," she told AFP.
Earlier estimates said as much as 4,000 square metres of the reef had been destroyed when the USS Guardian minesweeper ran aground on Tubbataha on January 17 but Songco said their studies found the damage was less than feared.
It took the salvage teams until March 29 to remove the last of the 223-foot USS Guardian, which had to be cut into pieces so it could be lifted clear without damaging the reef further.
The incident stirred nationalist anger with demands that the United States pay a large amount of compensation for damaging the reef, which is world renowned for its rich marine life.
But Songco said they would only ask for the required amount based on the affected area.
"I am not worried about criticism (for the small amount). We are not trying to put one over them and we hope they will do the same with us," she said.
She said the last of the salvage ships had left Tubbataha but a team of US Navy divers and a US vessel remained in the area, assessing the damage.
The United States has apologised for the mishap and has said it would cooperate in addressing the damage.
The US Navy said in a statement Saturday that it did not want to speculate about the liability but would coordinate with the Philippine government to assess the damage to the reef.
"The Republic of the Philippines may submit to the Navy any and all information it believes relevant to determinations of coral reef damage," the statement said.
The commanding officer and three crew of the USS Guardian were relieved of their duties over the grounding, the US Navy announced earlier this week.

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

philippines demands 14m from us over reef damage philippines demands 14m from us over reef damage

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

philippines demands 14m from us over reef damage philippines demands 14m from us over reef damage

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 06:15 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Volkswagen clinches record sales

GMT 09:54 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

'Friendly and kind' N. Korean skaters

GMT 10:18 2018 Thursday ,30 August

Iran incapable of closing Hormuz, Bab Al Mandeb

GMT 11:38 2017 Tuesday ,14 November

Barrett gets shot at World Rugby award double

GMT 22:28 2011 Thursday ,10 February

The intermingling of the domestic and the foreign

GMT 06:38 2017 Monday ,21 August

First eclipse in 99 years to sweep North America

GMT 06:59 2017 Saturday ,13 May

King's support at Windsor

GMT 08:12 2017 Sunday ,19 November

EU-Mercosur free-trade pact supporters push for deal

GMT 08:23 2012 Saturday ,18 February

Pop star Katy Perry will donate

GMT 05:11 2013 Sunday ,29 December

Lea Michele to release solo album

GMT 07:02 2011 Sunday ,07 August

Canadian dollar falls on slowing global economy

GMT 06:42 2011 Sunday ,03 July

China\'s service activity cools in June

GMT 10:38 2011 Tuesday ,13 December

Kingdom\'s GDP to grow 5.1% in 2011
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice