us demands halt to south china sea reclamations
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Beijing's behaviour in area was out of step with norms

US demands halt to South China Sea reclamations

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice US demands halt to South China Sea reclamations

Alleged on-going reclamation by China on Subi Reef from Pagasa Island
Singapore - Arab Today

The United States on Saturday called for an "immediate and lasting halt" to reclamation works in disputed waters in the South China Sea, saying Beijing's behaviour in the area was "out of step" with international norms.

"First, we want a peaceful resolution of all disputes. To that end, there should be an immediate and lasting halt to land reclamation by all claimants," US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter told a high-level security conference in Singapore.

"We also oppose any further militarisation of disputed features," he said, stressing that US forces would continue entering what he called international waters and airspace in the tense region.

Carter, speaking at the annual Shangri-La Dialogue involving defence ministers and top military officials from China, Europe and other Asia-Pacific countries, added that "with its actions in the South China Sea, China is out of step with both the international rules and norms".

He acknowledged that other claimants have developed outposts of differing scope and degree, including Vietnam with 48, the Philippines with eight, Malaysia with five and Taiwan with one.

"Yet, one country has gone much farther and much faster than any other.

"And that's China. China has reclaimed over 2,000 acres, more than all other claimants combined and more than in the entire history of the region. And China did so in only the last 18 months," Carter said.

"It is unclear how much farther China will go. That is why this stretch of water has become the source of tension in the region and front-page news around the world."

Last week the Chinese military ordered a US Navy P-8 Poseidon surveillance aircraft to leave an area above the heavily disputed Spratly Islands. But the American plane ignored the demand.

"There should be no mistake: the United States will fly, sail, and operate wherever international law allows, as US forces do all around the world," Carter said in Singapore.

"America, alongside its allies and partners in the regional architecture, will not be deterred from exercising these rights -– the rights of all nations. After all, turning an underwater rock into an airfield simply does not afford the rights of sovereignty or permit restrictions on international air or maritime transit."

- Code of conduct -

Beijing has defended its dredging work in the contested waters and accused Washington of singling out China over an activity that other countries in the region are also engaged in.

China insists it has sovereignty over nearly all of the South China Sea, a major global shipping route which is believed to be home to a wealth of oil and gas reserves.

Carter urged China and the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations to adopt a "code of conduct" in the disputed waters this year.

The code is expected to build on a non-binding 2002 pledge by countries with competing claims to respect freedom of navigation, resolve disputes peacefully and refrain from inflaming the situation.

ASEAN members the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia and Brunei claim parts of the sea, along with Taiwan.

Washington on Friday accused China of deploying two artillery pieces on one of its artificial islands in the South China Sea, calling it an unprecedented move that suggests Beijing is trying to extend its military reach in the contested waters.

The heavy weapons, since removed, posed no security threat but their positioning -- within range of territory claimed by Vietnam -- underscored Washington's concerns that China is pursuing a massive island-building project for military purposes, US officials said.

Carter said Washington "will support the right of claimants to pursue international legal arbitration and other peaceful means to resolve these disputes."

The Philippines infuriated China when it filed a formal complaint to the Permanent Court of Arbitration at The Hague in March 2014. China has so far refused to recognise the process.
Source: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

us demands halt to south china sea reclamations us demands halt to south china sea reclamations

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

us demands halt to south china sea reclamations us demands halt to south china sea reclamations

 



GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 19:57 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Farm-fresh from Kerala to the UAE, in just one day

GMT 01:36 2011 Thursday ,10 March

Geothermal Energy

GMT 09:15 2018 Friday ,12 January

Einstein's love letters, LPs set for Asian exhibits

GMT 14:47 2017 Friday ,10 November

Foreign Minister Meets Kuwaiti Counterpart

GMT 04:37 2017 Thursday ,19 January

DEWA and Masdar to break ground on Phase 3

GMT 06:24 2018 Tuesday ,02 January

Freezing New York welcomes 2018

GMT 10:49 2017 Tuesday ,13 June

Actress Nelly Karim reveals message

GMT 10:09 2012 Monday ,30 January

Sarkozy announces French financial transaction tax

GMT 03:24 2017 Monday ,13 March

Book review: Wounding the World

GMT 09:47 2017 Thursday ,27 July

Actress Nelly Karim is keen to keep her success

GMT 23:54 2017 Wednesday ,14 June

Actress Dina reveals her role

GMT 12:50 2018 Monday ,01 January

Kim calls on North to mass-produce nukes, missiles

GMT 06:07 2017 Monday ,27 February

Sheds light on major steps in 12-year career
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice