
Bahrain's Health Ministry announced on Sunday it plans to launch a nationwide awareness campaign on the latest outbreak of the deadly Middle Respiratory Syndrome ( MERS) in the region. It follows similar education initiatives taken by neighboring countries like Saudi Arabia, which has reported 371 confirmed infections of the killer virus and a death toll of 107 people in the past two years. "Bahrain has contingency plans in place to control the outbreak of coronavirus and all hospitals and health centers have been instructed to report immediately any suspected cases," Bahrain's Health Minister Sadiq al-Shehabi said in a statement. The minister called his Saudi counterpart Adel Fakeih on Sunday and discussed plans and strategies to rein in the virus and deal with new infections. Shehabi stressed on a "common road map," in both countries that cover all stakeholders, including health care workers, to control the spread of the virus. He said the World Health Organization (WHO) accredited public health lab staff will also work round the clock to deal with any emergency. In addition, a national campaign will soon be launched to educate citizens and foreign workers about precautionary measures. Shehabi added that cases of MERS virus are low and do not amount to a "global epidemic," based on the WHO criteria. "Bahrain has not registered a single case of MERS so far. Bahrain's health services are ready to deal with suspected or confirmed cases, and the protocol is adopted according to the WHO guidelines," he said. However, the health ministry reported on Saturday that four patients in Bahrain were suspected of having contracted the virus, but test results later showed the patients were not infected.
GMT 14:01 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Expat with rare heart disorder gets life-saving surgeryGMT 00:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Boy with 10-pound tumour on face diesGMT 21:23 2018 Monday ,22 January
All set for first global medical tourism conference in DubaiGMT 22:46 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Second face transplant for FrenchmanGMT 07:51 2018 Saturday ,20 January
Trio aquitted of negligence in Canada railway disasterGMT 10:57 2018 Thursday ,18 January
Breastfeeding for 6 months cuts diabetes risk in half: studyGMT 16:10 2018 Wednesday ,17 January
Child mummy in Italy had hepatitis, not smallpoxGMT 18:36 2018 Tuesday ,16 January
Greece strikes cause transport chaos, healthcare delays

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor