egypt trial for jazeera journalists set for february 20
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Egypt trial for Jazeera journalists set for February 20

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Egypt trial for Jazeera journalists set for February 20

Cairo - AFP

Al-Jazeera journalists accused of backing Egypt's blacklisted Muslim Brotherhood are to go on trial on February 20, judicial sources said on Monday. Since president Mohamed Morsi was ousted by the military in July, Egypt's interim government has been incensed by Al-Jazeera television's coverage of a deadly crackdown against the Brotherhood to which the deposed Islamist belongs. On January 30, prosecutors referred to trial 20 people they said worked as journalists for Al-Jazeera, accusing them of portraying Egypt in a state of "civil war" and "airing false news". The Qatar-based network said last week that only "nine network staff are on the list of 20, meaning most of those named are not employees of Al-Jazeera." Those on trial are 16 Egyptians and four foreigners -- including Australian Peter Greste, Britns Sue Turton and Dominic Kane, and Dutch journalist Rena Netjes. Of the 20, only eight are in detention --including Greste and Al-Jazera English's Cairo bureau chief, Canadian-Egyptian Mohamed Adel Fahmy. The others are being sought, the prosecution said. The 16 Egyptians have been charged with belonging to a "terrorist organisation... and harming national unity and social peace". The four foreigners are accused of "collaborating with the Egyptians by providing them with money, equipment, information... and airing false news aimed at informing the outside world that the country was witnessing a civil war." Netjes fled Egypt last week and said she was told by the Dutch embassy in Cairo that her name was on the list for prosecution. She also said she could have been implicated in the case over a conversation she had with Fahmy in a hotel lobby in December. "I never worked for Al-Jazeera, ever," she wrote on Twitter. Greste, Fahmy and Egyptian producer Baher Mohamed were arrested on December 29 at their makeshift office in a Cairo hotel. Fahmy, a well-known journalist in Cairo who previously worked with CNN, has no known ties with the Brotherhood. Greste formerly worked for the BBC and won the prestigious Peabody Award in 2011 for a documentary on Somalia. If convicted, the foreigners could face up to seven years in jail and the Egyptians 15. Officials also say the defendants were operating withoutofficial accreditation. The government declared the Brotherhood a "terrorist organisation" in December after a suicide car bombing at a police headquarters killed 15 people north of Cairo. The attack was condemned by the Brotherhood and claimed by an Al-Qaeda inspired group.

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

egypt trial for jazeera journalists set for february 20 egypt trial for jazeera journalists set for february 20

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

egypt trial for jazeera journalists set for february 20 egypt trial for jazeera journalists set for february 20

 



GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 11:03 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

No end to eyesores at Taj Mahal

GMT 07:40 2018 Monday ,15 January

C&A fashion chain eyes sale to Chinese investors

GMT 10:30 2017 Thursday ,02 November

Britain’s Aston Martin is performing

GMT 11:30 2017 Saturday ,02 September

Chinese Vice-Premier leaves the Country

GMT 00:48 2011 Thursday ,06 October

Modern fairy tale unfolds in London

GMT 09:30 2017 Thursday ,21 September

21 ISIS militant were killed in suicide attack in Hama

GMT 23:45 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Europe in the pink of health, feels Bjorn

GMT 13:16 2018 Friday ,19 January

Rafael Nadal into fourth round of Australian Open

GMT 18:10 2016 Monday ,31 October

PTI supporters planned to occupy secretariat

GMT 07:08 2017 Thursday ,21 December

Blinded in one eye, Syrian baby becomes symbol of siege

GMT 12:01 2017 Sunday ,17 December

S.Africa's troubled ANC meets to elect new leader

GMT 19:26 2013 Friday ,29 November

Bosch plans 110 car service centres in GCC

GMT 12:51 2017 Monday ,08 May

1 in 8 road deaths is a child in Oman

GMT 01:23 2017 Sunday ,28 May

RAK's tourism sector on a roll

GMT 17:20 2011 Thursday ,11 August

Moroccans flying EA increase
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice