
Health organizations and U.S. nutrition experts say they are calling on fast-food restaurant chains to take sugary drinks off their children's menus. Margo G. Wootan, nutrition policy director at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, said McDonald's agreed to drop soda and sugary drinks from Happy Meal menus last year, and 100 U.S. and local health organizations along with nutritional experts said in a letter to Wendy's, Burger King and 21 other restaurant chains that they too should remove the items from their children's menus. Subway, Chipotle, Arby's and Panera already exclude sugary drinks from kids' meals. "With 1-in-3 children overweight or obese in the United States, it no longer makes sense to include sugary beverages in restaurant meals for young children," the letter said. The groups quoted research published in The Lancet that found drinking just one additional sugary drink every day increases a child's chances of becoming obese by 60 percent, Wootan said. Besides CSPI, the letters to the restaurant chains were signed by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the American Cancer Society, the American Diabetes Association, The California Endowment, the Consumer Federation of America, MomsRising.org and the National Council of La Raza. "Parents face an enormous uphill battle when it comes to teaching their kids about nutrition and feeding them a healthy diet," said Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner, executive director and chief executive officer of MomsRising.org. "Restaurant chains that make a sugar drink the default drink make matters so much worse. It's time for Wendy's, Burger King, Chick-fil-A, and Applebee's to follow McDonald's lead."
GMT 14:01 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Expat with rare heart disorder gets life-saving surgeryGMT 00:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Boy with 10-pound tumour on face diesGMT 21:23 2018 Monday ,22 January
All set for first global medical tourism conference in DubaiGMT 22:46 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Second face transplant for FrenchmanGMT 07:51 2018 Saturday ,20 January
Trio aquitted of negligence in Canada railway disasterGMT 10:57 2018 Thursday ,18 January
Breastfeeding for 6 months cuts diabetes risk in half: studyGMT 16:10 2018 Wednesday ,17 January
Child mummy in Italy had hepatitis, not smallpoxGMT 18:36 2018 Tuesday ,16 January
Greece strikes cause transport chaos, healthcare delays

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor