no more tragedy in health sector following deaths of mentally ill patients
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

No more tragedy in health sector following deaths of mentally ill patients

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice No more tragedy in health sector following deaths of mentally ill patients

South African President Jacob Zuma
Cape Town - Xinhua

South African President Jacob Zuma pledged on Thursday that no tragedy would occur in the health sector following the deaths of dozens of mentally ill patients due to negligence.

Zuma was speaking after receiving a report from the Health Ombudsman Malegapuru Makgoba on the investigation into the circumstances surrounding the deaths of dozens of mentally ill patients in Gauteng Province last year.

The president thanked Makgoba for the investigation, which will help the government to ensure that such a tragedy does not recur in the health sector, presidential spokesperson Bongani Nqgulunga said.

The president will be apprised by the Minister of Health Aaron Motsoaledi on steps to be taken to ensure that utmost care, support, empathy and expertise are made available to patients requiring mental health care, according to Nqgulunga.

Zuma extended his deepest condolences to all the families of the deceased, Nqgulunga said.

Earlier, Motsoaledi said he would act sooner regarding the transfer of mentally ill patients from Life Healthcare Esidimeni hospitals in Gauteng.

On Wednesday, Makgoba released his report which found that former Gauteng health MEC (Member of the Executive Council) Qedani Mahlangu and other senior officials were negligent and reckless in their decision to transfer 94 patients to non-governmental organizations (NGOs) that were operating illegally.

Barely three months after 1,300 patients were relocated to NGOs last year, at least 37 have died.

Mahlangu resigned just hours before the damning findings against her were made public.

United Nations human rights experts have expressed shock at the deaths of the psychiatric patients.

The experts said in a statement last December that following a badly planned relocation process of 2,300 persons from Life Healthcare Esidimeni hospitals, the Gauteng Department of Health has transferred more than half of them under the care of NGOs with inadequate capacity and resources to assist people requiring high-level, specialized and intensive non-stop care.

"South Africa must set up a policy framework to guide its deinstitutionalization process, inclusive of a plan of action with timelines and benchmarks, the redistribution of public funds from institutions to community services, and the development of adequate housing and community support for persons with disabilities, such as housing assistance, home and family support, and respite care," the experts said.

source: Xinhua

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

no more tragedy in health sector following deaths of mentally ill patients no more tragedy in health sector following deaths of mentally ill patients

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

no more tragedy in health sector following deaths of mentally ill patients no more tragedy in health sector following deaths of mentally ill patients

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 19:57 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Farm-fresh from Kerala to the UAE, in just one day

GMT 19:40 2011 Wednesday ,11 May

Man jumps to his death from Burj Khalifa

GMT 06:00 2017 Sunday ,16 July

Paris begins mediation in Qatar crisis

GMT 07:30 2017 Sunday ,13 August

Zidane confirms to extend Real Madrid contract

GMT 11:49 2011 Friday ,15 July

Japan to report progress on nuclear crisis

GMT 09:35 2012 Thursday ,14 June

UN environment summit opens, but prospects grim

GMT 15:20 2015 Saturday ,14 November

I'm not Zorro

GMT 12:45 2014 Saturday ,27 September

Ferrari saves something extra ‘Speciale’ for Paris

GMT 10:43 2014 Tuesday ,09 September

Much of the coffee genome has finally been mapped

GMT 00:23 2011 Monday ,26 December

The Heights: Anatomy of a Skyscraper

GMT 07:10 2017 Thursday ,20 July

Yasmine Abdel Aziz receives new offers

GMT 08:19 2017 Tuesday ,02 May

Prime Minister Attends Luncheon Banquet

GMT 15:17 2015 Monday ,05 October

Zulekha Hospital launches 'pink it now' campaign

GMT 08:03 2017 Tuesday ,12 September

United Arab Emirates says military pilot killed

GMT 11:00 2017 Thursday ,21 September

Abbas calls on UN to correct historic injustices

GMT 05:54 2017 Saturday ,20 May

Young Nigerian man drowned in UAQ beach

GMT 08:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Louvre Abu Dhabi replaces Gulf map that omitted Qatar

GMT 11:06 2015 Thursday ,01 January

Rejecting resolution not the end
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice