
The Philippine Department of Health (DOH) launched on Friday a massive campaign to distribute condoms in leisure business establishments in Metro Manila, in a move to prevent HIV/AIDS in the country as the confirmed cases of the disease rapidly increased in January. Undersecretary Teodora Herbosa said that under the campaign, each of the establishments will be given a box full of free condoms and flyers where essential information about HIV/AIDS can be read. Customers can get from the box, which will be strategically placed in the entrance or front desk. The campaign was firstly launched in Quezon, a city of Philippine capital of Metro Manila, because it has the biggest number of AIDS patients and asymptomatic cases, said Herbosa, citing that in Quezon City alone, there were 54 asymptomatic and six confirmed cases last January. "We will be flooding Metro Manila with condoms if it is the only way we can prevent the rapid spread of HIV/AIDS," she said. "It is a critical and the only effective element in the prevention and control of the disease and available tool in reducing the transmission of sexual infections and diseases," she added. According to the official, the HIV/AIDS Registry in the Philippines for last January showed a total of 224 confirmed cases. The figure is 23 percent higher compared to the same period last year with 182 confirmed cases. From 1984, there were a total of 7, 843 cases recorded by the DOH in the country. Due to religious and cultural reasons, the Philippines is characterized by its very low rate of condom use.
GMT 14:01 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Expat with rare heart disorder gets life-saving surgeryGMT 00:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Boy with 10-pound tumour on face diesGMT 21:23 2018 Monday ,22 January
All set for first global medical tourism conference in DubaiGMT 22:46 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Second face transplant for FrenchmanGMT 07:51 2018 Saturday ,20 January
Trio aquitted of negligence in Canada railway disasterGMT 10:57 2018 Thursday ,18 January
Breastfeeding for 6 months cuts diabetes risk in half: studyGMT 16:10 2018 Wednesday ,17 January
Child mummy in Italy had hepatitis, not smallpoxGMT 18:36 2018 Tuesday ,16 January
Greece strikes cause transport chaos, healthcare delays

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor