Scientists in Japan say residents near the Fukushima nuclear plant face an increased risk of cancer if decontamination efforts are discontinued. The Science Council of Japan said if decontamination work doesn\'t continue, some residents would likely be exposed to more than 100 millisieverts of radiation in a 30-year span, The Yomiuri Shimbun reported. That level increases the risk of death from cancer by 0.5 percent. The council took into account how radiation exposure would be expected to change over 30 years, radiation levels before residents were evacuated, expected levels upon their return and whether decontamination work continued. If residents return to their homes when the annual radiation exposure level drops to 10 millisieverts and decontamination work doesn\'t continue, the residents would likely be exposed to more than 100 millisieverts over 30 years, the council said. If residents return home when the annual radiation exposure falls to 20 millisieverts and decontamination doesn\'t continue, the scientists said, they would likely be exposed to nearly 250 millisieverts over 30 years. But if decontamination work continues for five years after residents return home following a drop to 10 millisieverts of radiation exposure, the likely exposure level would drop to 80 millisieverts, the council said. \"It\'s necessary to make plans to continue decontamination and to sufficiently control radiation exposure after residents return home,\" said Fumiko Kasuga, a vice president of the council. The Fukushima nuclear plant was heavily damaged in last year\'s earthquake and tsunami.
GMT 14:01 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Expat with rare heart disorder gets life-saving surgeryGMT 00:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Boy with 10-pound tumour on face diesGMT 21:23 2018 Monday ,22 January
All set for first global medical tourism conference in DubaiGMT 22:46 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Second face transplant for FrenchmanGMT 07:51 2018 Saturday ,20 January
Trio aquitted of negligence in Canada railway disasterGMT 10:57 2018 Thursday ,18 January
Breastfeeding for 6 months cuts diabetes risk in half: studyGMT 16:10 2018 Wednesday ,17 January
Child mummy in Italy had hepatitis, not smallpoxGMT 18:36 2018 Tuesday ,16 January
Greece strikes cause transport chaos, healthcare delays

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor