
At least nine people have died in a cholera outbreak in South Sudan, many others are sick, and the epidemic is expected to worsen, the U.N. health agency warned Monday. “There have been nine deaths in 138 cases so far,” World Health Organization (WHO) spokesman Tarik Jasarevic told Agence France-Presse (AFP) in Geneva. “The epidemic is intensifying, and more cases are expected.” The WHO and other aid organizations were rushing supplies to the affected region in and around the capital, Juba, Jasarevic said. Children are at particularly risk from cholera. “The severity of the cholera outbreak is just one manifestation of a country failing its children,” said Jonathan Veitch, the South Sudan coordinator for the U.N. Children’s Agency (UNICEF). The outbreak of the highly contagious disease threatens an even broader spread, because 1.3 million South Sudanese have been forced from their homes by five months of violence. Huge numbers of people across the country are surviving without proper shelter, clean water, or toilets.
GMT 14:01 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Expat with rare heart disorder gets life-saving surgeryGMT 00:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Boy with 10-pound tumour on face diesGMT 21:23 2018 Monday ,22 January
All set for first global medical tourism conference in DubaiGMT 22:46 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Second face transplant for FrenchmanGMT 07:51 2018 Saturday ,20 January
Trio aquitted of negligence in Canada railway disasterGMT 10:57 2018 Thursday ,18 January
Breastfeeding for 6 months cuts diabetes risk in half: studyGMT 16:10 2018 Wednesday ,17 January
Child mummy in Italy had hepatitis, not smallpoxGMT 18:36 2018 Tuesday ,16 January
Greece strikes cause transport chaos, healthcare delays

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor