full alert in sabratha as serbia embassy staff abducted
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

'Full alert' in Sabratha as Serbia embassy staff abducted

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice 'Full alert' in Sabratha as Serbia embassy staff abducted

Foreign Minister Ivica Dacic
Belgrade - Arab Today

Two Serbian embassy employees, a man and a woman, were abducted in Libya's coastal city of Sabratha on Sunday while they were travelling in convoy to Tunisia, officials said.

Serbia's ambassador to Libya was in the motorcade in a separate car when the incident took place, about 100 kilometres (60 miles) from the main border crossing between Libya and Tunisia.

A foreign ministry statement identified the abducted pair as Sladjana Stankovic, in charge of communications, and Jovica Stepic, a driver.

"The attackers first provoked an accident, hitting the embassy car from the back, so when the driver got out to see what had happened, they literally dragged him into one of their cars," Ambassador Oliver Potezica told Serbian state news agency Tanjug.

The attackers, who were all masked, then asked the woman to get out and into their car before speeding off, Potezica said, adding that one attacker had opened fire on a Libyan citizen in the convoy and hit him in the leg.

Sabratha is considered a bastion for extremists in lawless Libya, which has become a magnet for radical militants who receive weapons training in jihadist camps before launching deadly attacks in other countries.

Serbian Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic told the state broadcaster RTS that he had spoken with Libyan officials about the kidnapping and expected a positive outcome within 48 hours.

But Foreign Minister Ivica Dacic earlier said they had "no information" about the identity of the kidnappers.

"Nobody has contacted us to demand anything. We are following the situation," he told RTS, adding that a crisis committee had been set up.

- 'Full alert' -


A commander in the Sabratha Military Council, which is in charge of the area's security and loyal to a militia alliance which controls Tripoli, told AFP that "all security branches are on full alert in the city since the Serbians were abducted".

"There are checkpoints everywhere, and we are looking for them. We have also alerted neighbouring cities and areas and asked them to set up new checkpoints," he said, adding that the pair were still believed to be in Sabratha.

Libya descended into chaos after the October 2011 ouster and killing of longtime dictator Moamer Kadhafi, with two governments vying for power and armed groups battling to control its vast energy resources.

A militia alliance including Islamists overran Tripoli in August 2014, establishing a rival government and parliament that forced the internationally recognised administration to flee to the country's remote east.

Belgrade maintains an embassy in Tripoli and Serbian citizens, mostly doctors and other medical staff as well as construction workers, have been working in Libya for decades due to close bilateral relations during Kadhafi's regime.

The Serbian foreign ministry statement said it was doing "everything possible, in a difficult situation on the ground, to get more information and ensure the return of our citizens".

Sabratha is on the edge of a region known as Jefara, which analysts say is home to formerly nomadic tribes that make a living from smuggling and trafficking.

In June, after a Tunisian student armed with an assault rifle mowed down 38 tourists at a beach resort in his country, Tunisia's secretary of state for security said the shooter had been trained in Sabratha.

Source: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

full alert in sabratha as serbia embassy staff abducted full alert in sabratha as serbia embassy staff abducted

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

full alert in sabratha as serbia embassy staff abducted full alert in sabratha as serbia embassy staff abducted

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 05:14 2024 Wednesday ,07 February

Sophisticated Classic Dining Room Design Ideas

GMT 05:17 2024 Wednesday ,07 February

Amazon to open first cashierless shop

GMT 13:32 2016 Monday ,17 October

Turkey to take part in Mosul operation

GMT 08:22 2017 Sunday ,10 September

King of cool vs. king of bling

GMT 07:06 2017 Wednesday ,10 May

UAE artistic scene enhanced due

GMT 07:23 2016 Thursday ,19 May

New museum will 'preserve Palestinian memory'

GMT 12:02 2015 Tuesday ,29 September

Climate goal closer as UN pressure builds

GMT 10:06 2017 Thursday ,26 October

Passengers face new security interviews
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice