kuwait tightens security as emir attends joint prayers
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Kuwait tightens security as emir attends joint prayers

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Kuwait tightens security as emir attends joint prayers

A Kuwaiti man is searched by security members outside the Sunni Grand Mosque
Kuwait City - Arab Today

Kuwait deployed unprecedented security measures around Shiite mosques for Friday prayers following last week's deadly bombing, as the emir attended rare Shiite-Sunni joint ceremony in a show of unity.

Shiite mosques in Kuwait City were completely cordoned off and roads leading to them were closed to traffic as security men and volunteers stood guard, an AFP reporter said.

A Saudi suicide bomber from the Daesh group blew himself in a Shiite mosque last Friday killing 26 people and wounding 227 others in the worst bombing in the history of Kuwait.

Shiites make up a round a third of Kuwait's 1.3 million native citizens.

Thousands of Shiite and Sunni worshippers held a rare joint prayer at Kuwait's Grand Mosque, the largest place of worship for Sunnis in the oil-rich Gulf state.
The Kuwaiti ruler, Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad Al-Sabah, attended the noon prayers along with the crown prince, parliament speaker and several cabinet ministers and lawmakers.

Armoured vehicles, elite forces and policemen stood guard outside the Grand Mosque.

All roads leading to the mosque were off limits to vehicles and worshippers were thoroughly searched before they were allowed inside.

Prayer leader Sheikh Waleed al-Ali, a Sunni, called for national unity and urged Muslims to abandon extremist ideology.

"Extremism has led to this bloodshed," Sheikh Ali said during the sermon.

Kuwait, declaring itself in a state of war against "terrorism", has placed all security forces and the police on high alert.
A large number of suspects have been arrested while five of them were sent to the public prosecution.

Parliament on Wednesday approved a $400 million emergency funding for spending required by the interior ministry.

IS's Saudi affiliate, the Najd Province, claimed the bombing and identified the assailant as Abu Suleiman al-Muwahhid.

Kuwaiti authorities have named him as Fahd Suleiman Abdulmohsen al-Qabaa and said he was a Saudi born in 1992.

Gulf interior ministers agreed at the end of a meeting in Kuwait early Friday to boost cooperation to fight "terrorism".  
Source: AFP
 

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

kuwait tightens security as emir attends joint prayers kuwait tightens security as emir attends joint prayers

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

kuwait tightens security as emir attends joint prayers kuwait tightens security as emir attends joint prayers

 



GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 10:22 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Kabul hotel guests describe lax security

GMT 15:25 2017 Monday ,18 December

Uber struggles to make inroads in Japan

GMT 16:21 2016 Friday ,26 August

Haifa Beseisso: A global citizen on a mission

GMT 15:36 2017 Thursday ,22 June

'Do good at Sunset' charity drive in Jumeirah

GMT 13:04 2017 Tuesday ,14 February

How sleep deprivation affect your work

GMT 22:36 2016 Wednesday ,06 January

Chipotle norovirus outbreak under US criminal probe

GMT 10:08 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Microsoft to open 4 data centres

GMT 19:15 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Emirati fined Dh2.2m for embezzling public funds

GMT 04:36 2018 Monday ,22 January

centre-left backs formal coalition talks

GMT 03:41 2016 Thursday ,30 June

UK banks 'well placed' to manage Brexit fallout

GMT 07:36 2017 Friday ,27 October

Federal National Council playing a sterling role
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice