uk police link beach museum attacks in tunisia
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

UK police link beach, museum attacks in Tunisia

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice UK police link beach, museum attacks in Tunisia

A Tunisian policeman patrols the beach in front of the Riu Imperial Marhaba Hotel
London - Arab Today

British police helping the Tunisian authorities investigate the beach massacre that left 30 Britons dead said Wednesday they were linking it to an earlier attack on a Tunis museum.

The Britons were among 38 holidaymakers gunned down at a beach hotel near Sousse on June 26, three months after a shooting at the Bardo Museum in the capital Tunis in March.

Both attacks were claimed by the Daesh group.

"The attack at the Bardo museum which left 22 dead, including one British woman, is now being linked to the Sousse murders," said Commander Richard Walton, head of counter-terrorism at London's Metropolitan Police.

He said he could not give further details because the investigation was still live.

"I can confirm that a team of officers, led by a senior detective from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command, are working closely with the Tunisian authorities on both investigations and we have advised the coroner of the connection between the two," he said.

Tunisian authorities have previously said that the gunman in Sousse received training in Libya at the same time as the two men behind the Bardo attack and may well have known each other, although they could not confirm that.

In the June attack at the Imperial Marhaba Hotel, 23-year-old student Seifeddine Rezgui gunned down foreign tourists after pulling a Kalashnikov assault rifle from a beach umbrella.

Many of the British survivors flew home shortly afterwards and detectives here have been collecting details of their harrowing experiences.
Walton said that officers had so far taken 459 witness statements and were examining more than 370 photo and video files from mobile phones.

A number of witnesses had referred to a second gunman wearing red shorts. The police commander said investigators now believe he was a member of beach security, although they "retain an open mind on this issue".

He added that about 150 people had been arrested in Tunisia in relation to the Sousse attack, of whom 15 have been charged with terrorism offences and remain in custody.

Walton praised the Tunisian investigation but the attack has caused tensions between Britain and Tunisia after London advised its tourists to stay away, warning that local authorities could not protect them.
Source: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

uk police link beach museum attacks in tunisia uk police link beach museum attacks in tunisia

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

uk police link beach museum attacks in tunisia uk police link beach museum attacks in tunisia

 



GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 05:04 2024 Tuesday ,06 February

Skincare PR Performance Full Year 2017

GMT 19:19 2018 Sunday ,07 January

Has the good fortune for ETFs run its course?

GMT 10:31 2014 Tuesday ,23 December

Mirages of failure: Lebanon cannot wait

GMT 10:35 2011 Thursday ,06 October

3 Syrian Army and Police martyrs laid to rest

GMT 20:32 2014 Tuesday ,16 December

Egypt criticise attack on Pakistan army school

GMT 06:53 2017 Friday ,17 February

Tunisia announces visa exemption for Chinese tourists

GMT 08:23 2017 Wednesday ,01 November

Saudi Arabia to allow women spectators in stadiums

GMT 12:57 2017 Saturday ,28 October

Libyan army deploys additional forces in Oil Crescent

GMT 12:24 2014 Monday ,03 November

Hlavackova, Hradecka team up again after split

GMT 15:58 2013 Sunday ,03 March

Xinhua launches new media newswire service

GMT 08:33 2012 Wednesday ,07 March

GCC swimming championship begins today
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice