2 years after tragedy cranes brace to raise korea ferry
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

2 years after tragedy, cranes brace to raise Korea ferry

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice 2 years after tragedy, cranes brace to raise Korea ferry

Rescue teams take part in recovery operations at the site of the sunken Sewol ferry
Seoul - Arab Today

Grieving relatives threw white chrysanthemums over the side of a boat at the place where the Sewol ferry sunk exactly two years ago, as the country marked the anniversary of the disaster on Saturday.

A total of 304 people died, mostly students, when the Sewol sank off the southwestern island of Jindo, in a tragedy that shocked and enraged the country.

"Son, how are you? I've come to see you," a father shouted from the deck of a coastguard vessel that had brought mourners to the site of the sinking.

"Come back to us now. Your mother is waiting for you", he said before tossing a flower overboard, in an event that was broadcast live online.
A crowd of some 2,500 mourners took part in a memorial service at Jindo, reading memorial poems and releasing thousands of yellow-coloured balloons into the air in remembrance of the victims.

Memorial events also took place in Seoul and in Ansan, where the students studied.

Following the disaster, it emerged it was primarily caused by human error -- an illegal redesign, overloaded cargo bay, inexperienced crew and a questionable relationship between operators and state regulators.

Seoul announced last year that it would raise the 6,825-tonne ferry, which had been a key demand of the victims' families, who cling to hopes that nine bodies still unaccounted for may yet be recovered.
The $72 million project to raise the vessel is being spearheaded by a Chinese company. It is expected to begin next month and could be finished by late July.

"The government will do its best to salvage the ship and bring back the nine missing bodies safely to the families," Oceans Minister Kim Young-Suk said at the memorial service at Jindo.

- 'World first' -

The Sewol lies more than 40 metres (130 feet) beneath the sea's surface, and officials say lifting the 145-metre-long vessel from the seabed without splitting it into sections first will be the main challenge.

"Unfortunately, nothing can be guaranteed and we can only do the very best we can do to ensure that the risk is minimised," said Simon Burthem, a naval architect at TMC, a global consulting firm involved in the salvage project.
Still, he said there was an 80 percent chance the operation would succeed.

"Lifting the wreck in one piece from such a depth has never been done before, so this is a very, very difficult and challenging project and indeed a world first," he said.

Wang Weiping, the site superintendent of the Chinese salvage company, praised the dangerous work required by dive teams in often treacherous conditions ahead of the planned ship recovery.

Their main task had been to seal the vessel's with netting to ensure nothing -- such as human remains -- tumbles out when the ship is being lifted.

- Painful wait -

For the families of the nine victims whose bodies were never recovered, the two-year wait has been emotionally draining
It's been 730 days and I can see the ocean before me," said Lee Keum-Hui, who has been camping out at Paengmok harbour near the salvage site, praying for the recovery of her 16-year-old daughter's body.

"I know where she is but I can't get her," Lee said.

"I know the government can do more. But all I can do is just wait and trust its words," she told AFP.

Other bereaved family members accused the government of a lack of transparency.

"Everything is conducted behind closed doors and the families are not permitted to observe the recovery operation," said Jung Seong-Wook, who acts as a families' representative for the salvage project.

The maritime ministry says it can arrange trips for the families as long as they do not "disrupt salvage operations," stressing the need for "intense concentration" at what they call a critical time.

For relatives like Lee, the prospect of of not recovering victims' remains is almost unbearable.

"We tremble with fear at even the slightest chance of never finding the missing bodies," she said.
Source: AFP

 

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

2 years after tragedy cranes brace to raise korea ferry 2 years after tragedy cranes brace to raise korea ferry

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

2 years after tragedy cranes brace to raise korea ferry 2 years after tragedy cranes brace to raise korea ferry

 



GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 10:22 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Kabul hotel guests describe lax security

GMT 15:25 2017 Monday ,18 December

Uber struggles to make inroads in Japan

GMT 16:21 2016 Friday ,26 August

Haifa Beseisso: A global citizen on a mission

GMT 15:36 2017 Thursday ,22 June

'Do good at Sunset' charity drive in Jumeirah

GMT 13:04 2017 Tuesday ,14 February

How sleep deprivation affect your work

GMT 22:36 2016 Wednesday ,06 January

Chipotle norovirus outbreak under US criminal probe

GMT 10:08 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Microsoft to open 4 data centres

GMT 19:15 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Emirati fined Dh2.2m for embezzling public funds

GMT 04:36 2018 Monday ,22 January

centre-left backs formal coalition talks

GMT 03:41 2016 Thursday ,30 June

UK banks 'well placed' to manage Brexit fallout

GMT 07:36 2017 Friday ,27 October

Federal National Council playing a sterling role
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice