3 days after congo blast no rescue effort
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

3 days after Congo blast, no rescue effort

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice 3 days after Congo blast, no rescue effort

Brazzaville - AP

More than three days have passed since a catastrophic explosion laid waste to a section of the Republic of Congo’s capital, and officials confirmed that as of Wednesday no coordinated rescue effort had been launched, making it increasingly unlikely that any more people will be pulled alive from the flattened houses. The roads leading to the site of the blast have been cordoned off by officers in bulletproof vests. The Red Cross has not received authorization to go inside, said spokesman Delphin Kibakidi. And the columns of soldiers and firefighters that are allowed in are concentrating on extinguishing the flames still burning after the country’s military depot caught fire Sunday, setting off a series of detonations so strong that they caused ceilings to cave-in over 1 mile away. “The only rescue effort was by the people who lived here themselves, and who came back and dug out the bodies of their loved ones,” said an army captain who accompanied a team of reporters inside the roped-off disaster area and who asked not to be named because he had not been authorized to speak on the subject. “I doubt that anyone is still alive, but if they are, they’ll need to wait until we put out the fire, because it’s too dangerous. There are still unexploded bombs,” he said pointing to a smoldering carcass of debris where a team of soldiers were working. At least 246 people were killed after the fire in the armory catapulted shells, mortars, rockets and other munitions into a densely populated neighborhood in the capital of Brazzaville, according to national radio. The death toll is likely to rise as the debris is removed, and a simple walk across the site indicates this: At frequent intervals you can smell the stench of decomposing flesh. You can see concentrations of flies on top of slabs of cement. In one spot, the flies were crawling over a patch of earth, stained with what appeared to be blood. The force of the detonation was so strong that even the leaves were blasted off the trees. The area covering at least one-square-mile looks like a field in winter, the tropical hardwoods still standing denuded of vegetation. It’s a wasteland of twisted metal and children’s shoes, of buckled homes and pieces of paper, including one woman’s grocery list and another’s sonogram. The government announced a period of national mourning to be observed from Tuesday until victims are buried, at an unknown date. And a dusk-to-dawn curfew has been imposed in the neighborhoods nearest the disaster to stop looters from searching the rubble at night. Among the many people that are still unaccounted for are the military recruits whose dormitory collapsed. One of their trainers, 41-year-old Adj. Luc Elessi, was at the ruins of the dormitory on Wednesday along with his commanding officer. The multistory dormitory had pancaked. Elessi said that there were over 519 recruits, of whom only around 300 have been accounted for. Many had taken leave to go see their families because it was a Sunday, while others had gotten up early to go for a run, making it likely that the majority survived and are just out of touch. But a good number were still in bed at around 8 a.m. when the first explosion occurred, and he says he believes at least 50 are buried under the dormitory’s fallen beams. “You see that smell? You know what that means,” said Elessi, who was working to remove debris by hand in the 1-foot of space left between the first and the second floors of the dormitory. “We can’t see what is under these beams.” Military spokesman Col. Jean Robert Obargui said that he did not yet know what the death toll was from the dormitory collapse. “It’s for sure that some of them died,” he said. He confirmed that the humanitarian operation had not yet started. “It’s today that we are planning on meeting to agree on how to start the rescue effort,” said Obargui. “There have continued to be detonations — as recently as yesterday. And it’s not safe to go in. We need to detoxify the area of the unexploded ordnance first, and then the humanitarian effort can start.” The London-based Mines Advisory Group said that homes and streets are still littered with deadly munitions, including unexploded rockets and mortars. The group said that while most fires ignited by the blasts are under control, the blazes will likely not be fully extinguished until sometime on Wednesday.

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

3 days after congo blast no rescue effort 3 days after congo blast no rescue effort

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

3 days after congo blast no rescue effort 3 days after congo blast no rescue effort

 



GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 05:04 2024 Tuesday ,06 February

Skincare PR Performance Full Year 2017

GMT 19:19 2018 Sunday ,07 January

Has the good fortune for ETFs run its course?

GMT 10:31 2014 Tuesday ,23 December

Mirages of failure: Lebanon cannot wait

GMT 10:35 2011 Thursday ,06 October

3 Syrian Army and Police martyrs laid to rest

GMT 20:32 2014 Tuesday ,16 December

Egypt criticise attack on Pakistan army school

GMT 06:53 2017 Friday ,17 February

Tunisia announces visa exemption for Chinese tourists

GMT 08:23 2017 Wednesday ,01 November

Saudi Arabia to allow women spectators in stadiums

GMT 12:57 2017 Saturday ,28 October

Libyan army deploys additional forces in Oil Crescent

GMT 12:24 2014 Monday ,03 November

Hlavackova, Hradecka team up again after split

GMT 15:58 2013 Sunday ,03 March

Xinhua launches new media newswire service

GMT 08:33 2012 Wednesday ,07 March

GCC swimming championship begins today
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice