The possibility of a replacement candidate for Venezuela\'s Hugo Chavez in the October 7 election is not being considered as the president recovers from surgery in Cuba, a government spokesman said Friday. Chavez, who is running for a third term as president, underwent surgery this week in Havana for what he called an \"injury\" in the same area around the pelvis where a tumor was extracted in June 2011. Chavez said earlier that the lesion was likely malignant, but the government has released no details on the disease. \"A succession of the candidacy has not been proposed,\" said Venezuelan Information Minister Andres Izarra in an interview with the newspaper El Nacional. He was responding to questions about whether Chavez\'s health or treatment would interfere with his election campaign against opposition candidate Henrique Capriles Radonski. Izarra said he does not anticipate Chavez will turn over power temporarily to Vice President Elias Jaua because the president \"is fully capable of continuing to exercise power.\" \"The political and governmental agendas continue advancing hand in hand and under the guidelines and instructions of President Chavez during his recovery process,\" Izarra said. Last year during his cancer treatment in Cuba, Chavez also declined to delegate his presidential functions. The kind of cancer and its exact location on Chavez\'s body was never made public. The information minister complained that Chavez\'s opponents are trying \"to create instability and waves of rumors about the president\'s illness.\" Chavez plans to be his own spokesman to address the concerns to avoid confusion, Izarra said.
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor