airlift extends lifeline to remote philippine typhoon survivors
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Airlift extends lifeline to remote Philippine typhoon survivors

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Airlift extends lifeline to remote Philippine typhoon survivors

Tacloban - AFP

Helicopters dropped emergency supplies to desperate villagers as a growing global relief effort following the Philippines typhoon pushed beyond devastated towns and cities Monday towards remote island and mountain communities. On the tiny island of Homonhon, which suffered a direct hit from Super Typhoon Haiyan, residents of what was left of their shattered village waited patiently as US troops unloaded water supplies from a helicopter that flew in off the USS George Washington aircraft carrier. The approach to the village offered an aerial view of the destruction visited on the island, where thick coconut groves had been torn up and flattened. The helicopter stayed just 10 minutes before flying off with promises to return with rice supplies. The USS George Washington has galvanised the huge international relief effort in the central Philippines, since its arrival in the region on Thursday. Its main task has been airlifting large-volume supplies to inland airstrips and then ferrying them piecemeal by helicopter to more remote areas. In many villages, there is no space to land, and the helicopters are forced to hover low and drop the cartons to residents straining to remain standing against the downdraft from the rotor blades. Television footage has shown residents of one isolated settlement jostling each other as supplies were pushed from the chopper, setting off a frenzied scramble as villagers tore apart the packing and scurried away with the contents. Ten days after the super storm hit the central islands of Leyte and Samar with some of the strongest winds ever recorded, aid agencies and humanitarian groups have firmly established operational posts in the flattened region's largest city Tacloban. There is still no regular power in Tacloban, where the typhoon triggered a powerful, tsunami-like storm surge that left thousands dead and tens of thousands homeless. But aid distribution centres have been set up, ensuring a steady flow of food and water supplies to still-traumatised residents, while mobile surgical units are providing emergency care for the sick and injured. Some petrol stations are open and enterprising individuals were selling fuel in Coke bottles by the side of the roads that have been largely cleared of debris, as cars and motorbikes made a tentative return to the streets. Fresh fruit is available for a price, with makeshift stalls selling satsumas, apples and bananas. But the overall situation remains critical, with the United Nations estimating that up to four million people have been displaced, of which only 350,000 have found shelter in evacuation centres. The official death toll stands at 3,976 with 1,598 people missing. The UN said an estimated 2.5 million people are in need of food assistance, and that priority should be given to ensuring supplies of rice seed for the crucial December-January planting season. The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said it had started distributing aid to residents of Guiuan, Mercedes and Salcedo -- shoreline communities in southeastern Samar that were laid to waste by Super Typhoon Haiyan. "This is only the start," said Pascal Mauchle, head of the ICRC delegation in the Philippines. "Our next plan is to reach people in Homonhon and Suluan -? small isolated islands near Guiuan -? by boat." President Benigno Aquino, who has come in for some criticism over the speed of the initial response to the disaster, toured the worst-hit areas on Sunday and said he would stay in the region to oversee the relief operation. Stressing the logistical challenge of accessing so many badly affected people spread out over such an enormous area, Aquino appealed for "patience" and vowed to accelerate the distribution where possible. Emy Esperas Edanol, a 44-year-old fruit seller, welcomed the president's decision to make his temporary base in the area. "I hope that his presence here will speed up the relief," Edanol said, as she made her way to Tacloban city hall to ask for a death certificate for her father, who was killed in the storm surge. Although the situation in Tacloban has markedly improved in the past three days, daily life is still a grinding struggle among the grim ruins of the once thriving coastal city. An AFP journalist saw one man salvaging wood to rebuild his shack as three bloated bodies -- two of them children -- lay nearby. "Please can you tell the authorities to come and pick these up?" he begged.

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

airlift extends lifeline to remote philippine typhoon survivors airlift extends lifeline to remote philippine typhoon survivors

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

airlift extends lifeline to remote philippine typhoon survivors airlift extends lifeline to remote philippine typhoon survivors

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eight

GMT 10:21 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eleven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 06:15 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Volkswagen clinches record sales

GMT 19:33 2016 Tuesday ,14 June

Labour Party scrambles to avoid Brexit

GMT 06:55 2017 Monday ,09 October

Merkel 'nears refugee deal' with Bavarian allies

GMT 09:08 2016 Thursday ,19 May

EgyptAir Plane: What Could Have Happened

GMT 21:24 2017 Monday ,15 May

Emir Meets Directors of China's HNA Group

GMT 07:31 2014 Monday ,22 September

Our borders are extremely secure

GMT 13:52 2016 Friday ,12 February

Large-scale trials for Zika vaccines

GMT 09:33 2015 Thursday ,12 November

Peru's ancient city Caral
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice