
Al Qaida-linked kidnappers in Yemen have extended the ransom deadline for freeing a South African teacher, it was reported on Saturday. The deadline for paying about 32.5 million rands (3 million U. S. dollars) has been extended for three weeks, the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) said. Pierre Korkie, a teacher in the Free State Province, and his wife Yolande were abducted in the Yemeni city of Taiz in May last year. Yolande was released by the kidnappers last week. The kidnappers had given Korkie's family until Friday to pay the ransom in exchange for Korkie's freedom. The South African government has repeatedly stated that they will not pay the ransom in exchange for freeing Korkie. The kidnappers have also volunteered information that Korkie is not in good health, the report said. After her release Yolande said the kidnappers had believed they were American when they abducted them because "their perception of Westerners was based on skin colour." South African International Relations Deputy Minister Ebrahim Ebrahim is on a mission to Yemen to secure Korkie's release. "It is hoped that the visit by Deputy Minister Ebrahim to Yemen will result in Mr Korkie being released unharmed and as soon as possible," ministry spokesman Nelson Kgwete said. "The South African government takes interest in the well-being and security of its citizens, including when they are in distress or danger in foreign countries," Kgwete said.
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor