at least 45 dead in nigeria market attack
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

At least 45 dead in Nigeria market attack

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice At least 45 dead in Nigeria market attack

maidugri - AFP

At least 45 people were killed and 26 others wounded in a suspected Boko Haram attack on a weekly market in northeast Nigeria, police said on Monday. The attack in the restive state of Borno, and reports that 22 people were killed in a separate assault in neighbouring Adamawa, came just a week after Nigeria's new military chief vowed a swift end to the violence. "So far, we have 45 dead and 26 injured... but the figures could increase as our men are still in the village searching for more casualties," Borno state police commissioner Lawan Tanko told AFP. The attack happened at about 5:00 pm (1600 GMT) on Sunday when gunmen disguised as traders stormed Kawuri, in the Konduga area of Borno, 37 kilometres (23 miles) from the state capital, Maiduguri. Witnesses said the gunmen arrived in four-wheel-drive vehicles and opened fire with machine guns before setting off homemade bombs that destroyed houses and other property. Tanko, who blamed the attack on "the Boko Haram sect", said he could not confirm that explosives were used but a specialist bomb disposal team had been sent in to search for unexploded devices. He added that security forces in Kawuri were powerless to prevent the attack, the latest in a string of similar incidents in Borno, which has been under emergency rule since last May. Thousands of civilians have died since the start of the Boko Haram insurgency in 2009 and the military response to it. Nigeria's military claims it has been successful in forcing the Islamists out of towns and cities and into more remote rural areas near the border. But attacks have continued, forcing thousands to flee to neighbouring Cameroon, Niger and Chad and prompting claims that a purely military strategy to end the conflict was not working. Kawuri was attacked in October last year when suspected Boko Haram fighters clashed with a civilian vigilante group, leaving 10 dead and dozens of shops and homes razed. One trader who witnessed the latest attack, said: "The terrorists were armed with AK-47 rifles, improvised explosive devices and petrol bombs. "They entered the community and wreaked havoc before they fled into the Sambisa forest, which is not far from the village. "It was much, much later that security forces came and it was night already, and the attackers had earlier subdued the soldiers that were already on the ground." 22 reported dead in separate attack Emergency relief and disaster agencies meanwhile said they were assisting people affected by a separate attack on Sunday in the village of Waga Chakawa, Adawama. Reports suggested that gunmen opened fire on a Roman Catholic church and set homes ablaze. Two official sources indicated that at least 22 were killed. The state police commissioner, Godfrey Okeke, referred all queries to the military, officials of which were not immediately available to confirm casualty figures. "The main details are sketchy because it's a security issue," said National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) spokesman Abdulkadir Ibrahim. "The Red Cross and Adamawa State Emergency Management Agency have mobilised. They are on the ground trying to provide some relief for those who lost their houses." Adamawa has also been under emergency rule since May but has been relatively calm compared to its northern neighbour Borno. Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan this month replaced his most senior military brass days after a car bomb ripped through a crowded market in Maiduguri, killing 19. Boko Haram earlier claimed an attack in December on military installations in Maiduguri. Jonathan gave no reason for the decision but it was interpreted as a sign of dissatisfaction at the military's handling of the counter-insurgency. Nigeria's new chief of defence staff, Air Marshall Alex Badeh, has vowed to bring the insurgency to "a complete stop" before April.

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

at least 45 dead in nigeria market attack at least 45 dead in nigeria market attack

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

at least 45 dead in nigeria market attack at least 45 dead in nigeria market attack

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eight

GMT 10:21 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eleven

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:31 2014 Tuesday ,23 December

Mirages of failure: Lebanon cannot wait

GMT 03:20 2016 Monday ,16 May

Chinese Super League soccer standings

GMT 10:19 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Dutch BMX Olympic medallist out of coma

GMT 13:12 2015 Saturday ,09 May

Sheikh Sultan opens Sharjah Centre

GMT 11:16 2012 Tuesday ,14 February

Mediterranean diet good for brain

GMT 12:05 2017 Monday ,20 February

Nishikori suffers sixth successive final loss

GMT 22:08 2017 Sunday ,05 November

MoE toughens measures to enhance schools performance

GMT 08:54 2018 Monday ,22 January

Women's Health appoints acting fashion director

GMT 08:52 2018 Sunday ,21 January

Brexit special trade agreement possible

GMT 13:12 2017 Saturday ,05 August

Explore Montreal, a European-style

GMT 10:07 2017 Wednesday ,08 March

Pacquiao-Khan fight off
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice