
Silvio Berlusconi's party formally withdrew its support for Italy's ruling coalition on Tuesday in a widely expected move on the eve of a vote to expel the billionaire tycoon from the Senate. "The conditions for continuing our cooperation with this government no longer exist," Paolo Romani, chief senator for Berlusconi's Forza Italia (Go Italy) party, said in a message on Twitter. The move will not bring down the government as a group of former Berlusconi loyalists earlier this month broke away from the scandal-tainted ex-premier to form their own party. The New Centre-Right group led by Deputy Prime Minister Angelino Alfano has said it will stay in the coalition with Prime Minister Enrico Letta's centre-left Democratic Party even if Berlusconi is expelled. Letta's government will now have a much slimmer majority in the Senate of around 10 senators, while it will continue to enjoy strong support in the lower house because of many centre-left lawmakers. Alfano's party accounts for about 50 parliamentarians.
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor