britain dismisses complaint to icc over iraq abuse
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Britain dismisses complaint to ICC over Iraq abuse

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Britain dismisses complaint to ICC over Iraq abuse

London - Arab Today

Britain said Sunday it was already dealing with cases of alleged abuse by its troops in Iraq after human rights lawyers sent a dossier to the International Criminal Court. The Ministry of Defense said action through the ICC in The Hague was unnecessary because the cases were either already under investigation or had been dealt with through various courts and processes. Lawyers have drawn on the cases of more than 400 Iraqis, dating from 2003 to 2008, arguing they represent "thousands of allegations of mistreatment amounting to war crimes of torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment." They describe incidents ranging from "hooding" prisoners to burning, electric shocks, threats to kill and "cultural and religious humiliation." Other forms of alleged abuse between 2003 and 2008 include sexual assault, mock executions, and threats of rape, death, and torture. The head of the army, General Sir Peter Wall, ex-defense secretary Geoff Hoon, and former junior defense minister Adam Ingram are among those named in the 250-page dossier, according to The Independent on Sunday newspaper. The Ministry of Defense said it rejected the suggestion that the British military systematically tortured detainees, but said the government regrets the "small number of cases where abuses have taken place." "These matters are either under thorough investigation or have been dealt with through various means including through the Iraq Historic Allegations Team, independent public inquiries, the UK and European courts and in parliament," a spokeswoman said. "As such, further action through the ICC is unnecessary when the issues and allegations are already known to the UK government, action is in hand and the UK courts have already issued judgments. "Should we be approached by the ICC, we will take the opportunity to explain the very extensive work under way to deal with historic allegations of abuse. "Wherever allegations have been substantiated, we have compensated victims and their families." The formal complaint to the ICC was lodged Saturday by Birmingham-based Public Interest Lawyers and the Berlin-based European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights. It calls for an investigation into the alleged war crimes under Article 15 of the Rome Statute.

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

britain dismisses complaint to icc over iraq abuse britain dismisses complaint to icc over iraq abuse

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

britain dismisses complaint to icc over iraq abuse britain dismisses complaint to icc over iraq abuse

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eight

GMT 10:21 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eleven

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 01:08 2017 Sunday ,08 October

Hawaii gets chance to make case for fighting

GMT 08:13 2017 Wednesday ,10 May

UAE Ambassador to UK, Minister discuss relations

GMT 07:16 2018 Thursday ,18 January

Macron's tapestry gesture risks rousing

GMT 12:04 2017 Sunday ,17 December

US plans Middle East peace push after 'cooling off'

GMT 02:38 2017 Tuesday ,25 July

Bahrain Parents Care Society launches programme

GMT 06:47 2016 Sunday ,15 May

2 journalists shot dead in 24 hours in India

GMT 03:40 2017 Thursday ,27 July

Jordan dealt with embassy’s crime in accordance

GMT 10:21 2012 Thursday ,01 March

Small Spaced Garden Tips

GMT 08:30 2016 Sunday ,10 April

War photographer and mother, the woman

GMT 23:31 2017 Saturday ,24 June

Israeli forces push deep
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice