
Local and parliamentary elections in Maldives shouldn't be subject to the same delays that tarnished the country's presidential vote, a British official said. "It is important that the forthcoming local and parliamentary elections go ahead in line with work of the Elections Commission and are not subject to the delay and legal interventions that marred the presidential elections," Hugo Swire, British foreign minister for Asian affairs, said in a statement Monday. The Maldivian Supreme Court interrupted presidential elections three times this year. Abdulla Yameen was sworn in Sunday as president. He defeated front-runner Mohamed Nasheed, ousted in an apparent coup in February 2012, in a runoff that had been delayed by the court. U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon issued a statement through his spokesman Sunday saying the Maldivian people showed their commitment to democracy "despite the many obstacles and delays." No date was given for the next round of elections in Maldives.
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor