
Cambodian security forces fired smoke bombs to disperse protesters in the capital Monday morning, national military police spokesman Kheng Tito said. Mam Sonando, owner of the opposition-aligned Beehive radio station, defied a government ban on public gathering and led about 200 protesters to rally in front of the Ministry of Information against the ministry's rejection of his request for a relay station and a TV station. Hundreds of security forces had been deployed to defend the ministry's building and dispersed the protesters with smoke bombs and batons since the protesters blocked a road in front of the ministry. "They defied a ban on protests, so we have to disperse them in order to maintain social security and public order," Kheng Tito told Xinhua after the incident. "We cannot let them cause anarchy in society." The dispersal operation lasted about 10 minutes, leaving seven protesters injured on the head and limbs, according to Am Sam Ath, a senior investigator for the rights group, Licadho, who observed the incident. Cambodia has temporarily banned demonstrations since earlier this month in order to restore public security and social order after two protests turned violent, leaving four protesters dead, 26 injured and 23 arrested. On Sunday, Cambodian security forces briefly clashed with a few hundreds of protesters near the capital's Freedom Park, which left 17 people on both sides injured. The clash broke out after nine opposition-aligned unions and associations defied the government ban on demonstrations and led the protest to demand the release of 23 protesters detained during violent clashes on Jan. 2 and 3, and a 160 U.S. dollars minimum monthly wage for garment workers. Many rallies and protests have been organized by the country's main opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) and its aligned trade unions and associations since the disputed election in July last year. The poll results showed that the ruling party led by Prime Minister Hun Sen won 68 parliamentary seats and the CNRP got the remaining 55 seats. Claiming serious irregularities, the opposition refused to accept the outcome and has boycotted parliament and held protests to demand the resignation of Hun Sen and a reelection. Hun Sen has said that he would neither step down nor call a re- vote. The leaders of the two parties met twice in September in an attempt to narrow their political differences, but the talks failed to produce results.
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor