
The Chinese embassy in Finland on Friday reaffirmed the Chinese government's opposition to human smuggling, following local media reports about the detention of a Chinese flight attendant suspected of smuggling people to Europe.
The embassy said it was following the situation and had requested the Finnish authorities handle the case impartially and in accordance with the law. It also called for the protection of the suspect's legitimate rights.
Finnish newspaper Ilta-Sanomat reported earlier on Friday that the Chinese man, employed by Finnair, allegedly smuggled 33 people from China in the last three years. The paper quoted Finnish Border Guard as saying the case was "unusual in its audacity."
The report said the flight attendant used his company identity card to open side doors at the Helsinki-Vantaa airport and thus helped the people to enter the Schengen area. All of them have continued to other Schengen destinations and no one has remained in Finland.
Ilta-Sanomat reported that the travellers were charged 10,000 euros (about 11,200 U.S. dollars) per adult, and the fee for smuggling a child was 30,000 euros. Among the illegal arrivals, 14 were children. The unnamed suspect was apprehended last February. (1 euro = 1.12 U.S. dollars)
Source: XINHUA
GMT 15:31 2018 Sunday ,07 January
Tanker ablaze and 32 missing in collision off China's east coastGMT 18:36 2017 Monday ,27 November
Flipping lids! Chinese barber offers eyelid shavesGMT 00:33 2017 Sunday ,15 October
Dream run for Bitcoin, but will the buzz last?GMT 10:17 2017 Saturday ,09 September
Is China's EU shopping spree going out of hand?GMT 11:38 2017 Thursday ,18 May
UAE minister, Chinese official discuss cooperation

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor