
The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebels renewed their call for a ceasefire Tuesday amid peace talks with the government. "We would really like to achieve a bilateral ceasefire," Ivan Marquez, chief negotiator and No. 2 leader in the FARC, told reporters before the new round of talks began at the Havana Convention Center. "We could begin these talks in a much more positive atmosphere." The two sides should "at least try to reach an accord to 'regulate' the war, and to ease the impacts and effects of the confrontation on the civilian population in particular, as well as on the combatants on both sides," he added. Marquez explained that regulation meant "establishing rules as a practical measure to force the warring sides to behave according to civilized criteria." The peace talks started in November 2012 to negotiate an end to the five-decade fighting between the leftist rebels and the Colombian troops. Bogota has rejected a rebel-proposed ceasefire, saying it wanted to maintain military pressure on the rebels to facilitate negotiations. The Colombian government also said earlier that attempts to cease fire during peace talks have allowed the rebels to launch new offensives. The FARC, founded in the early 1960s by poor landless farmers, is fighting for better conditions in rural Colombia. Six key issues will be discussed at the latest talks, including agrarian reform and the rebels' political participation, drug trafficking, reparations for the victims, disarmament of the rebels, and the implementation of a peace deal.
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor