
Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos said on Friday his government will not cease military operations against rebel groups even as they threaten to murder political leaders of the war-torn country. "The military offensive will continue and we have been very effective with our fight against the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) and the National Liberation Army (ELN) guerrillas in the last three years, more effective than any time before in our history," Santos told local Caracol radio. He said government forces have captured 47 FARC leaders in recent years, dealing a major blow to the country's biggest rebel group. The president expressed disappointment at the FARC's plots to murder Alvaro Uribe, who stepped up military action against the rebels during his two terms as president from 2002 to 2010. Starting as a peasant movement seeking land reform, the FARC has been fighting the government in a jungle and urban conflict for five decades, leaving more than 200,000 people killed. Rounds of negotiations have been held between the government and the FARC since the process of the peace talks was launched in November 2012. The two sides have so far agreed on two of five negotiating points -- rural development and political participation. The three remaining issues are reparations for the victims of the fighting, the FARC's ties to drug trafficking and disarmament. Santos said he has always been aware of the difficulty of reaching a peace agreement with the guerrilla group, but insisted this goal must be met. "We have to follow through. We cannot get off the horse at this time, as it would be irresponsible to the peace talks and the country," said Santos, who has faced criticism from opposition for little progress in peace talks. Santos, who became president of Colombia in 2010, is likely to run for the reelection to complete the negotiation initiated by his administration. Despite peace talks, the FARC rebels have nrot ceased fighting government forces. Last Friday, they threw explosives in an attempt to destroy a police station in southeastern Colombia, leaving two children injured and 20 houses destroyed, according to authorities.
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor