
A Cairo court on Wednesday freed on bail 23 Egyptian protesters from secular youth movements who were detained last week for holding an unauthorised demonstration, judicial sources said. The protesters were detained for holding on November 26 what was the first illegal demonstration two days after interim president Adly Mansour passed a law banning unauthorised gatherings. They were protesting against a provision in the draft constitution that allows the military to prosecute civilians in certain cases. The demonstration was held in front of the Shura Council in Cairo where a 50-member panel had been drafting the new constitution. The draft charter was handed over to Mansour on Wednesday. He has a month to hold a referendum on it. Judicial sources said the protesters were each freed on bail of 5,000 Egyptian pounds (about $725). They were accused of "rioting and breaking the protest law in front of the Shura Council". Two days after their protest, they were sent to 15 days' detention. Secular groups and rights organisations have criticised the new protest law. Authorities have also detained three prominent secular activists -- Alaa Abdel Fattah, Ahmed Maher and Ahmed Duma -- for breaking the protest law. The protest law requires permits to hold any demonstrations. Secular activists say that armed with the new law, authorities have widened their crackdown on protests which in recent months had mainly targeted Islamist supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi.
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor