egypt’s ngo case continues to strike a nerve
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Egypt’s NGO case continues to strike a nerve

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Egypt’s NGO case continues to strike a nerve

Cairo - Agencies

The mysterious departure of foreign non-governmental organization (NGO) workers facing trial in Egypt has left many questions unanswered with no one claiming responsibility for the decision to lift the travel ban. The NGO case continues to strike a nerve in Egypt’s political and judicial arena as well as the general public. Egypt imposed travel bans for 43 NGO workers, including 16 Americans, in February on charges of illegally receiving foreign funds and working in the country without licenses. The travel ban was mysteriously lifted after the trial judges recused themselves last week citing “reasons of discomfort.” A group of 13 foreign NGO workers, including six Americans, left Egypt on a U.S. plane on Feb. 6. A new panel of judges has been appointed to investigate the charges and the next hearing is scheduled on Thursday. Heated controversy has dominated the Egyptian political scene since and fingers have been pointed to different parties, including the ruling military council, the political party of the Muslim Brotherhood as well as the government. Prime Minister Kamal al-Ganzouri on Tuesday said the NGO case was a judicial matter and the government had not intervened. “By nature, it is very difficult for me to accept any pressure,” he told reporters in Cairo. International Cooperation Minister Fayza Abul Naga, the public face of the NGO funding case, claims that she did not know that the travel ban on the indicted foreigners had been lifted and that she only found out afterwards, a report by Egypt’s online edition of al-Ahram reported on Tuesday. She said that her ministry was not involved in the decision. Abul Naga told the first session of the Shura Council (the country’s upper house of parliament) that her reaction to the NGO case was based on her “feeling of responsibility and commitment towards the country.” The ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF), meanwhile, has spoken of the strong political relationship between Washington and Cairo. “The judicial system is the only entity responsible for the foreign funding case and the military council did not impose any decision on them,” a top SCAF general told reporters at a press conference in Cairo on Monday. The Muslim Brotherhood’s Freedom and Justice Party (FJP), which holds a majority in Egypt’s two houses of parliament, has also denied any link to the case. “We didn’t have anything to do with arresting or letting go of the NGO foreign workers and whatever was published that contradicts this is false,” the party’s Deputy Chairman Khairat al-Shater wrote on his Twitter account according to al-Ahram report. Shater’s denial contradicts recent statements by U.S. Senator John McCain – Chairman of the International Republican Institute (IRI) that was one of the targeted U.S.- funded organizations operating in Egypt – in which he thanked the group for its role in lifting the travel ban on indicted foreign NGO workers. “Last week in Cairo, we had meetings with the speaker of Parliament and other newly elected parliamentarians from across the political spectrum, with leaders of the Muslim Brotherhood, and with Field Marshal [Hussein] Tantawi and other members of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces. These meetings reassured us that people of goodwill in both countries were working diligently to find a positive resolution to the recent crisis,” al-Ahram report quoted McCain as saying. The Muslim Brotherhood has blamed the government for lifting the travel ban on NGO workers. Parliamentarian Farid Ismail, who is a member of FJP, insisted on Friday that neither the Brotherhood nor its political party helped lift the travel ban. He called on Ganzouri’s government to resign over the NGO case. The Justice Ministry, meanwhile, denied having anything to do with lifting the travel ban. “We don’t get involved with judicial powers,” Omar al-Sherif, deputy justice minister for parliamentary affairs, was quoted as saying by al-Ahram report. The Interior Ministry has denied responsibility as well. “The police has no relation with the departure of foreigners allied with the foreign funding case,” Minister of Interior Mohammed Ibrahim said. Moreover, Minister of Civil Aviation Hussein Massoud denied responsibility for permitting the U.S. plane, which carried the accused NGO workers back home, to land at Cairo International Airport. He was addressing the Shura Council session when he said that he had no authority on the planes that belong to the United Nations, the diplomatic planes of heads of states and their ministers as well as the military aircrafts, according to Egypt’s Akhbar al-Youm newspaper. Massoud said that according to international diplomatic agreements, “it was illegal for the airport authorities to prevent the U.S. plane from landing.” As long as no one claims responsibility for lifting the travel ban, a lot of questions will remain unanswered; thus creating more chaos as time for the presidential polls nears in two months. Al-Arabiya

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

egypt’s ngo case continues to strike a nerve egypt’s ngo case continues to strike a nerve

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

egypt’s ngo case continues to strike a nerve egypt’s ngo case continues to strike a nerve

 



GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 05:04 2024 Tuesday ,06 February

Skincare PR Performance Full Year 2017

GMT 19:19 2018 Sunday ,07 January

Has the good fortune for ETFs run its course?

GMT 10:31 2014 Tuesday ,23 December

Mirages of failure: Lebanon cannot wait

GMT 10:35 2011 Thursday ,06 October

3 Syrian Army and Police martyrs laid to rest

GMT 20:32 2014 Tuesday ,16 December

Egypt criticise attack on Pakistan army school

GMT 06:53 2017 Friday ,17 February

Tunisia announces visa exemption for Chinese tourists

GMT 08:23 2017 Wednesday ,01 November

Saudi Arabia to allow women spectators in stadiums

GMT 12:57 2017 Saturday ,28 October

Libyan army deploys additional forces in Oil Crescent

GMT 12:24 2014 Monday ,03 November

Hlavackova, Hradecka team up again after split

GMT 15:58 2013 Sunday ,03 March

Xinhua launches new media newswire service

GMT 08:33 2012 Wednesday ,07 March

GCC swimming championship begins today
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice