
Alarming numbers of migrants are poised to flood into Europe from Libya, European Council president Donald Tusk warned.
Addressing the European parliament, he said there will be a repeat of the crisis that has seen more than a million land on the Greek islands unless urgent action is taken.
But the former Polish president admitted the EU will not be able to send arrivals back to the war-torn North African nation even though most are not genuine refugees.
'Convenient and easy solutions are hard to find in politics, and in this case, they are virtually impossible,' he said.
'What we are faced with is a perpetual, tenuous and multi-dimensional effort. In fact, something like a never-ending story.
His comments came after more than 4,000 migrants were rescued in the waters off Italy in just 48 hours.
Mr Tusk, who chaired negotiations last month between the EU and Turkey for a £4.7billion deal to stop people crossing the Aegean to Greek islands, said: 'We must remember that the Balkan route is not the only one.'
'The numbers of would-be migrants in Libya are alarming. This means that we must be prepared to help.'
Source : MENA
GMT 21:17 2017 Sunday ,05 March
Italy coastguard says almost 1,000 migrants rescued off LibyaGMT 22:06 2017 Wednesday ,11 January
IOM Sounds Alarm as Severe Weather Conditions Grip EuropeGMT 12:30 2016 Thursday ,29 December
Number of migrants leaving Germany voluntarily rises in 2016GMT 12:34 2016 Monday ,26 December
Brazil seeking 19 migrants lost at seaGMT 19:20 2016 Tuesday ,06 December
More than 1000 boat migrants rescued, 16 bodies found

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor