filipino presidential candidate says may cut us australia ties
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Filipino presidential candidate says may cut US, Australia ties

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Filipino presidential candidate says may cut US, Australia ties

Rodrigo Duterte
Manila - Arab Today

Trash-talking Philippine presidential favorite Rodrigo Duterte has warned he is prepared to cut diplomatic ties with the United States and Australia after their envoys criticized his comments about the jailhouse rape of a missionary.
Duterte also told the ambassadors to “shut their mouths,” as controversy raged over his comments last week in which he said he wanted to have been the first to rape the Australian woman who was brutalized and murdered in a 1989 prison riot.
“If I become president, go ahead and sever (diplomatic ties),” Duterte, 71, said on the campaign trail on Wednesday night, referring to the relationships with the United States and Australia, two of the Philippines’ closest allies.
Duterte, who while campaigning has called the pope a “son of a bitch” and promised to kill tens of thousands of criminals, recounted at a recent rally the attack on the Christian missionary as part of his tough-on-crime pitch to voters.
“I was mad she (the missionary) was raped but she was so beautiful. I thought, the mayor should have been first,” she told the crowd. Duterte was at the time mayor of Davao, a major city in the southern Philippines where he is accused of running vigilante death squads that have allegedly killed more than 1,000 people. The front runner has at times on the campaign boasted about running the death squads, claiming they killed 1,700 people, but also denied any links to them.
Duterte has similarly offered varying responses to the rape comments, with his media team releasing a statement in which he apologized. But on the campaign trail, he has repeatedly told reporters he would not say sorry.
Australian Ambassador Amanda Gorely criticized his remarks this week, saying on Twitter: “Rape and murder should never be joked about or trivialized. Violence against women and girls is unacceptable anytime, anywhere.” US Ambassador Philip Goldberg later agreed with her.
“Statements by anyone, anywhere that either degrade women or trivialize issues so serious as rape or murder are not ones that we condone,” Goldberg said in an interview with CNN Philippines television. Duterte has repeatedly expressed anger at what he regards as their intervention in domestic politics.
“It would do well with the American ambassador and the Australian ambassador to shut their mouths,” Duterte told reporters on Wednesday. A US Embassy spokesman told AFP Thursday there was no immediate response to Duterte’s remarks about the ambassadors. An Australian Embassy spokeswoman said there would be no comment.
Incumbent President Benigno Aquino on Thursday also criticized Duterte’s remarks, while warning the policies of certain candidates could reverse the high rates of economic growth the country had seen during his six-year rule.
“What do we gain by this? America is a very big trading partner, Australia has been helping us... so what is the value (of such actions?) If there is no value, why will you do it?” he told reporters.
“I do have to thank them (certain candidates) for showing how different their styles are from ours,” Aquino said.
“These (economic growth) results were a direct outcome of our governance. If governance (were reversed) surely it is not reasonable to expect that progress would continue,” Aquino added.
Meanwhile in another warning to the country’s traditional allies, Duterte’s camp signalled it was prepared to start direct talks with China over a long-running territorial dispute.
Aquino has been improving defense ties with the United States and Australia to bolster the Philippines in its dispute with China over the South China Sea. China claims most of the sea, even up to the coasts of its neighbors like the Philippines which has accused China of “bullying” other claimants.
However Duterte spokesman Peter Lavina told ABS-CBN television on Thursday that the presidential hopeful would be prepared to talk directly with China if elected.
Source: Arab News

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

filipino presidential candidate says may cut us australia ties filipino presidential candidate says may cut us australia ties

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

filipino presidential candidate says may cut us australia ties filipino presidential candidate says may cut us australia ties

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 16:17 2018 Thursday ,30 August

Five Saudi women pilots granted GACA licences

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eight

GMT 21:36 2017 Thursday ,04 May

College Celebrates Graduation of 43 Officers

GMT 11:51 2017 Monday ,13 November

Aid enters devastated rebel town near Syria capital

GMT 13:11 2017 Wednesday ,27 September

NASA-led project to build the first lunar space station

GMT 07:10 2017 Monday ,08 May

UAE in universal mission to reduce suffering

GMT 03:02 2017 Wednesday ,08 February

Daesh damaging Mosul houses to demand repair fee
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice